Scuba gear time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No. But I swim trot line out at McGee Creek Lake with facemask and fins. I go about ten feet deep at the Potapo arm. Visibility in good water is about ten feet with a heavy green tint to it. You can get better visibility depending where you dive. This is a risky place to swim on account of old trotlines and fishing lines strung out everywhere underwater. I always carry two knives on me when I'm in the water, plus a revolver. I got hung up one time in some old line about ten feet down and had to cut myself out of it.

Edit:
Scuba Shack LLC
7328 N May Ave, Oklahoma City · (405) 767-1200

Last edited:

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Is that even legal? I mean snorkeling with a revolver. You know the gators need to eat too.

I have a license to carry it above water. It never crossed my mind about illegal underwater carry. The thing is, if you shoot underwater, your eardrums may be ruined. It is a last ditch defense against a death roll. Some noodlers I know carry Glock 17s.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good point. I'd still rather try to shoot with my head above the water, if I had a chance to. There are occasional gator captures in people's ponds in Tishomingo, and photos taken of them in the Washita between Butcher Pen and Lake Texoma.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you were close enough to a gator underwater for the bullet to have enough energy to do any good you are already in range of being chomped. They will fire and usually survive but they can create dangerous pressure changes and any gun (other than a speargun or bangstick) is almost useless underwater because that bullet is slowing down incredibly fast underwater which is why divers use bang sticks instead of revolvers.

Mythbusters did some really great experiments on the subject showing the reaction of guns being shot underwater and from the surface into the water. Doing what they do best they busted just about every gun/water myth ever shown in Hollywood.

If you are swimming with gators, you are braver than me lol. I would save your revolver from the water damage and buy a bang stick, your life is going to depend on it so why take the chance?

Please post up some alligator pics, I would love to see some!! I've had so many people tell me there are no gators, bears, cougars or bigfeets in Oklahoma...dead wrong except for bigfeets of course.

Latest posts

Top Bottom