Self checkout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ha I was at the McAlester Lowes a few weeks ago and had that happen. I went to customer service asked for the manager. We roughly tallied up how much money I WAS NOT going to spend with them today because they didn't have a cashier. He told me they had self check out but refused to give me a discount; so that wasn't going to fly. I told him to enjoy restocking my things and I would order online; which reduces the need for his self checkout machines and useless management figures.

Another time I stood in line forever but asked 15 different employees that walked by if they were trained on the register and why it was taking so long. Its the manager/corporates fault was the common answer. Still no employee discounts for self check out.

I am pretty mild mannered and easy going guy but this is the hill I am willing to die on. I am so sick of customer service being a self serve issue.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha I was at the McAlester Lowes a few weeks ago and had that happen. I went to customer service asked for the manager. We roughly tallied up how much money I WAS NOT going to spend with them today because they didn't have a cashier. He told me they had self check out but refused to give me a discount; so that wasn't going to fly. I told him to enjoy restocking my things and I would order online; which reduces the need for his self checkout machines and useless management figures.

Another time I stood in line forever but asked 15 different employees that walked by if they were trained on the register and why it was taking so long. Its the manager/corporates fault was the common answer. Still no employee discounts for self check out.

I am pretty mild mannered and easy going guy but this is the hill I am willing to die on. I am so sick of customer service being a self serve issue.
I was in Lowes yesterday here in east Texas buying two 6v lantern batteries for my deer feeder, and I walked up to a register with a girl standing in it (granted, her light was off, but she was standing at the register). The girl beside her said I can help you and led me over to self checkout. I didn’t say a word but just handed her the batteries. After she scanned them, I handed her my money, and she put it in the slots and gave me my change. The only legitimate checkers in the whole store were at the registers that contractors use.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_2015.jpeg

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was at Home Depot a couple days ago. Picked up a couple dozen clamps. Went to check out and there wasn’t any check out lanes open, just self check out. 6 hipsters standing around scratching their crotch looking at their phones. I’m afraid I may have made them upset.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really do not understand all the whining about the concept of self-checkout. I normally buy a few items and it is faster to hit the self-checkout kiosk and be in my way. Maybe my life is too full to get upset about such a small issue. I figure the management knows more about their business than I do.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I was in Lowes yesterday here in east Texas buying two 6v lantern batteries for my deer feeder, and I walked up to a register with a girl standing in it (granted, her light was off, but she was standing at the register). The girl beside her said I can help you and led me over to self checkout. I didn’t say a word but just handed her the batteries. After she scanned them, I handed her my money, and she put it in the slots and gave me my change. The only legitimate checkers in the whole store were at the registers that contractors

I was at Home Depot a couple days ago. Picked up a couple dozen clamps. Went to check out and there wasn’t any check out lanes open, just self check out. 6 hipsters standing around scratching their crotch looking at their phones. I’m afraid I may have made them upset.
I would have just scanned my stuff and been gone in 2 minutes. It's not like it's a difficult thing to do. I realize you guys want to make a point. A better point would be to shop somewhere else if it's that important to you.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I love modern technology and not many people. 😂. Home Depot even has an App that tells you what aisle and bin number products are located in. I refuse to enter a Lowe's.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW - Lowe's tells you which aisle and bin # too. Home Depot is worse in my opinion, at least the one in Moore. They completely redid their self checkout area with new, big monitors and someone to assist so promoting not having a checker. I don't mind self checkout but not if I've got 15-20 items.

Heard there's a WalMart in Dallas area that has zero check out lanes - it's ALL self checkout. I refuse to self checkout at a grocery store when my cart is full thus why I prefer WinCo in Moore. They ALWAYS have a checkout person and will add another if the lines get too long. Yeah, crazy logic huh?!?!

Latest posts

Top Bottom