Shady Stuff at Hibbett Sports

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sracatback

Marksman
Reaction score
Well, for about 3 months my wife has been working at Hibbett Sports and about a month ago she was promised the assistant manager job. She's been working as assistant manager for the last month but hasnt received the pay increase. Now, we are wanting to take 2 weeks off to visit home for christmas. I'm in the military so its not always possible to take time off that is convenient for businesses but the district manager of the OKC area told her if she leaves for the two weeks then she will be demoted back to regular worker. After that, she found out that the new guy at the store had been promised the Asst manager job by the district manager before he tranferred. We feel like the dist manager is only using the time off as an excuse. This seems like bad business practice and i was P!ssed about it already. Then i started thinking about the fact that she was never paid for taking on the assistant manager responsibilities. My thought is that she should be at least reimbursed for her time as assistant manager. She is currently looking for another job because she doesnt want to work for an asshat like that. The store manager is also a good friend of ours and has tried to keep her as assistant manager to no avail. Now he is also planning on leaving the company. Any opinions on this????

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If nothing is on paper I think the reimbursement possibility is probably not realistic. If she is only getting regular employee pay and she doesn't think taking the two weeks off would jeapordize her job then she should go.

If there is that possibility that she might lose her job if she takes the time off and you guys count on her income then maybe going is not a good thing at this time. Not knowing your situation or her experience level, will a new job come easily? Just things to ponder. Good luck and thank you for serving.

P.S. I hate when employers and people in general don't honor their words.

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a good time to be looking for a job. Also isn't Christmas a busy time for a store? Probably not a good idea to take two weeks off during your stores busiest period if you want to be management. Life is not always fair, stuff like this happens all the time.

sracatback

Marksman
Reaction score
Little more info: She has turned in all the required paperwork to be promoted and also has received and completed training from the corporate office for asst manager with no pay raise in sight. The paper trail is there. And it also bothers me that when she took the job she was told that taking two weeks off for christmas wouldnt be a problem. Just kinda rubs me the wrong way when people say something's ok and then suddenly its not.

V1K1NG0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was always taught that when I was to be promoted to always ask for the effective date of promotion in writing and get it signed and dated by the supervisor and I would fax it in to the HR department and ask them to add it to my file. CYA.

Concerning the 2 weeks of vacation: I'd call HR and see if it is standard procedure for a person to be demoted for taking 2 weeks vacation. Make sure you get it in writing along with their name and the date you were given the information. CYA.

You need to have your wife look at how long a person has to work there before they can even take vacation. Most places won't even let you take a vacation until you have been there 6 months to a year. If the manager said sure you can take off with leave without pay or something then definately check it out. They might be playing the "favor" card. If she has enough leave for 2 weeks vacation after that short amount of time then that is good.

On the other hand, depending on when you all are planning vacation she might be hurting the store by not being there and that is the excuse they will use to demote her. Black Friday and all the Christmas Shopping that pops up. This is the time when retail is supposed to kickoff.

I've been on both sides of this. I really hope it works out for you all but if it just turns bad then chalk it up to learning experience.

If it comes down to not having a vacation vs being demoted (and find another job), you both have to be on the same page. Don't make a mistake like I did and get angry at her for not being able to go back. Doesn't help anything.

Bottomline: If it's not in writing it does not exist.

Fitz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is unrealistic to believe that the higher-ups would be passive about this. She has only been there 3 months and she wants to take 2 weeks off during some of the busiest shopping days of the year ?

Probably not what you want to hear, but I would say she is lucky that they said she would just be demoted instead of fired.

sracatback

Marksman
Reaction score
I was planning on contacting the HR office but that number is conveniently absent from their website. The position is a part-time position. Store manager is the only full time so the only downside to taking two weeks off as far as i know is not getting money for those two weeks. we're not desperate for money so i'm not really worried about the pay cut i just dont like people being dishonest to her. It gets her hopes up and then she gets really emotional when crap goes wrong. makes it tough on me then.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to start off saying thank you for serving our country.

Bright side is that she gets the two weeks off, dark side is there will be even less jobs available after the Christmas rush. It sucks that you guys have to make a decision to either see family or she basically looses her job.

V1K1NG0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was planning on contacting the HR office but that number is conveniently absent from their website. The position is a part-time position. Store manager is the only full time so the only downside to taking two weeks off as far as i know is not getting money for those two weeks. we're not desperate for money so i'm not really worried about the pay cut i just dont like people being dishonest to her. It gets her hopes up and then she gets really emotional when crap goes wrong. makes it tough on me then.

Talk to the wife before you start making calls. Make sure you know what she wants to do.

Name: Hibbett Sports Corporate Headquarters
Street: 451 Industrial Lane
Birmingham, al 35211-4464
Phone: (205) 942-4292

Latest posts

Top Bottom