Shady Stuff at Hibbett Sports

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikefan1985

New to the site!
Reaction score
I say it is time to look for another job. I worked at Hibbett Sports in a couple of stores in Texas, one being an assistant manager and as a store manager at another. Let me tell you, the way they do business is****. When I was the assistant manager at my first store, the other assistant refused to give me ANY hours what-so-ever because she believed I was too "nerdy". It wasn't just me, she did that to all the people she didn't like. It was not even her responsibility to do the scheduling in the first place. At the store where I was the store manager, I tried training the employees at the store on how to do the job properly and I lost my job because of it. All they did was stand around, goof off, curse like sailors in front of customers, etc. Then they had the guts to go to corporate and complained about stuff I did not do. When I was questioned about it, they failed to provide proof of the allegations and flat out called me a liar in my face. I even had to go to the police because the father of one of the employees accused me for doing some crazy ****. One evening before closing I was threatened by the father for something I didn't do. When I filed the police report, I was told that I would get sued by him for filing a criminal trespassing charge against him. Now I have a record on their system for allegations for some "harassment" ***** they failed to provide proof. That was the kicker right there. Because I was following the rules of Hibbett Sports, I lost my job. Thankfully I wasn't sued by the father and was able to get a job outside of retail after threatening to sue Hibbetts if they did anything that would prevent me from getting another job. However, business at the store I was at as an assistant manager has gone down tremendously after I went to the local newspaper, internet and other media sources I could get my hands on to show what type of ******** Hibbetts would do.

landman873

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to the **** thing a lot of us call LIFE. I always tell kids and ppl in collage stay in there forever you don't want to work in the real world. Its nothing like the movies and TV make it out to be. Chalk it up to experience as sad and dumb as it sounds.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, let's watch the language. This is a family site, you can make your point, and even use some asterisks if you need to express yourself that way.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
However, business at the store I was at as an assistant manager has gone down tremendously after I went to the local newspaper, internet and other media sources I could get my hands on to show what type of **** Hibbetts would do.

Wow... That's some fecal matter. My blood was boiling just reading it.

ekdkdk1

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
when i was younger, i was taught an important lesson. two things happen at a job.
you show up and they tell you what to do..
if you do not do what they say you won't be showing up for work anymore..

the more you do. means the more you learn. the more you know makes you more valueable to a company. hence worth more money to that company.

BUT EVERYBODY IS REPLACEABLE.. especially someone that has only been at a job for 3 months.

all i can tell you is. if her pay is reasonable, and she can get past the pride factor. she should stay where she is.there are alot of very qaulified people out there fighting for every available job. i do not think i would want to be out in the job market right now trying to compete if i already had a job.

if she is as upset about this as you are. one of you needs to become the yen to the yang..you need to become the calming factor. which i believe you are by looking for advice. i just get the feeling you are looking for justification for trying to sue this company. in a courtroom. a person with three months of job experience won't win that case.there are to many causes they can say why she was not qaulified to have the position.

my two cents

sracatback

Marksman
Reaction score
Well i thought this thread had been long forgotten so i didnt post any updates. We thought we had this situation solved when they offered to let her keep the assistant manager pay but be demoted to team player. About a week later the POS district manager fired her and the store manager that stood up for her. she tried to contact human resources at corporate but they're just as shady as the rest of them. It just sucks that the only two people who actually listened and cared about the customers lost their jobs. The reasons for firing were even more uhh.... entertaining i guess. Store manager got fired for texting while off duty to another employee that was on duty and my wife got fired for drawing a stick figure on a post-it note when there were no customers and the store was in perfect order. Nothing else to do. Like i mentioned, when HR was called they told her there was nothing she could do about it and didnt even listen when she tried to tell them about the discrimination charges against the district manager which we have pretty solid evidence of. Now they are not even allowed in Hibbett because they dont want them to "harrass" anyone. What kind of BS is that? oh well that's retail and now that i'm deploying she gets to go back to Georgia for a few months where she can hopefully get a job where i used to work. where they treat employees the right way.

sracatback

Marksman
Reaction score
i just get the feeling you are looking for justification for trying to sue this company. in a courtroom. a person with three months of job experience won't win that case.there are to many causes they can say why she was not qaulified to have the position.

my two cents

Not trying to sue the company i dont believe in suing. i think its usually useless and all too often abused for monetary gain. I only wanted the one's committing these wrongdoings to get what they deserve. but that didnt happen so i'm over it now. we have it all sorted out.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I Have only read the first page of this thread. I am curious whether she feels that being treated in such a fashion is based on gender discrimination? That may change the rules of the game.

EDIT: Now that I read the last few posts. I wonder whether the termination was retaliatory? hmm.

nikefan1985

New to the site!
Reaction score
Well i thought this thread had been long forgotten so i didnt post any updates. We thought we had this situation solved when they offered to let her keep the assistant manager pay but be demoted to team player. About a week later the POS district manager fired her and the store manager that stood up for her. she tried to contact human resources at corporate but they're just as shady as the rest of them. It just sucks that the only two people who actually listened and cared about the customers lost their jobs. The reasons for firing were even more uhh.... entertaining i guess. Store manager got fired for texting while off duty to another employee that was on duty and my wife got fired for drawing a stick figure on a post-it note when there were no customers and the store was in perfect order. Nothing else to do. Like i mentioned, when HR was called they told her there was nothing she could do about it and didnt even listen when she tried to tell them about the discrimination charges against the district manager which we have pretty solid evidence of. Now they are not even allowed in Hibbett because they dont want them to "harrass" anyone. What kind of BS is that? oh well that's retail and now that i'm deploying she gets to go back to Georgia for a few months where she can hopefully get a job where i used to work. where they treat employees the right way.

In short she ran into the same crap I ran into. Even though I am allowed back into the store where I started at, I don't even go into Hibbett Sports simply because I believe they are crooks who don't really care about anything. I walked by the store yesterday and they had one part of wall completely bare empty, which is a big no-no according to company policy. In the back of my mind I was thinking that if I was running that store I would've gotten chewed out for that. There wasn't even a single customer in the store so that told me that nothing has changed about what they do. I look back at what happened and I know that I am in a better situation now than what I was in when I was there. Their prices are outrageous anyways. Found a pair of Nike's at Academy for $69.99 and Hibbetts was charging $89.99. I am so glad I am not there anymore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom