Shady Stuff at Hibbett Sports

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trebuchet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear that you are having such a bad experience with them. I have worked retail before myself and there is always stuff like this going on. its never fair and always sucks. I hope you have some documentation to bring to a higher manager to prove that she needs the corresponding raise to go the with added work. If not, good luck on the job hunt.

nikefan1985

New to the site!
Reaction score
Man its been a while since i've been here. Anywho, not to bump the subject but its been almost 3 years since i was let go by Hibbett Sports and I will say things have changed a lot. Checked on Facebook to block the employees I know that have a Facebook account and saw that one of the employees that worked for me while I was a store manager is now an assistant manager at the one I originated at and my assistant manager took over my spot at the one I'm running. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they got where they are now but I just don't see how people can make a career at a place like Hibbett Sports. There is an Academy and a Sports Authority in my home town that gets more business than the Hibbetts here and at least the employees at those stores actually care about their customers. Everytime I walk by the Hibbetts here in my home town I don't see anyone shopping there or if there are people, they walk out with nothing. I een walked in a couple of times just to see what would happen but still got the same treatment as before being hired on. It just blows my mind that its been this long since I left the company and this is what happens.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to summarize what's been mentioned in easy to read bullet statements:

1. You can help her put together a plan of action, but only she [the employee] should be the one interacting with the company.

2. Sadly, this is not uncommon in business. Business politics suck.

3. If she does take action, (very important) record EVERYTHING. Phone calls, emails, etc. You can secretly record a phone conversation in Oklahoma as long as you're one of the parties to the conversation. The other parties do not need to be notified of the recording. If it's not in writing it doesn't exist...and...company policies are not law. They are guidelines and are broken daily based upon management's decisions. HR may be there to assist employees, but the bottom line is that they work to protect the company.

4. I would recommend really thinking over whether or not it is worth the hassle. It's easier to find a new job when you already have one. Also, if she takes action, and things go badly, word gets spread around. When a new company does a background check, the old company can legally only say certain things and not talk poorly about the employee...but it doesn't really work that way.

If she really wants to work elsewhere, she may want to suck it up until she can leave for something better in the long run. It's hard to do that while feeling what she's feeling, but think about a few years down the road where she really wants to be.

In any case...I wish you and her the best and her things work out well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom