Shop storage and shelving project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's pretty freaking awesome! :clap3:

FYI Orielly sells (or did a few years ago) the shelving they use in their stores. I have quite a few sets. Steel uprights, MDF shelves with steel edges front and back. Hooks for the shelves are spaced 4" apart. 12"d & 24"d x 48"w x 8'h. I recommend only where they can be anchored to a wall or a T setup. Height can be reduced, but shelves cannot due to the tabs on the ends.
As to your beam. Taylor and Sons pipe and steel in Chickasha can build you a beam/s. A bar joist setup or per-engineered floor joist may work. Watch craiglist for scraps. Last year I had a customer that had 6 leftover 14"h x 22' engineered floor joists. He gave them away.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got some more metal today, yay!

The expanded metal will be used for the shelfs. The 1" will be used for the gussettes and the 1.5" is for the last crossbar in the top platform and maybe the next project of shelves around the corner.

IMG_1409.JPG

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
O'Reilly.
Talk to a manager. I was outfitting an auto repair shop about 15 years ago and the local manager stopped by, offered to check on shelving for me. I ended up ordering around 16 uprights and 100 shelves, 12" & 24", anchored them to block walls.
Cool thing is the uprights have hooks on both sides. You can make a run forever, all hooked together.
I also watch the retail going out of business adds. Bought some nice back support shelves (think Walmart). All metal, they hold a ton! Really nice for back to back aisles in larger area.

Add. One problem with expanded metal, things fall through. A buddy had some shelves like that. He kept several boxes of nuts, bolts, washers and screws on them. Worked well until moving some boxes that had started to rot. Basically most of the box contents ended up scattered throughout. Major PIA. We took some 1/4 Luan sheets, cut to size, and polyurethaned to seal. We spent hours sorting.

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One problem with expanded metal, things fall through. A buddy had some shelves like that. He kept several boxes of nuts, bolts, washers and screws on them. Worked well until moving some boxes that had started to rot. Basically most of the box contents ended up scattered throughout.
This exactly came to mind when you mentioned expanded metal.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good points on th expanded metal. The plan is to keep things like bottled oil, spray can of paint and larger items on these shelves. I have a rack with bins for smaller items like nuts and bolts.

The expanded metal is 1/2" so the holes are fairly small and it's flattened metal so things will sit level. I guess I could cover the metal with something else later on if the holes becaome a pain to deal with. At minimum the expanded metal will make a good support base if I want to add something like lamenent later on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom