Shortage of drug holds up some US executions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This whole death penalty being carried out in a humane manner is just rediculous. I have yet to hear about any murders being committed in a humane fashion. So why do we have to abide by a stupid code that the person being executed didnt have to in order to be in this situation.

The standard answer is that we live in a civilized society and that even though we have a right to punsish evil doers up to and including death we should do it in a civilized way less we sink to their level.

Personally...

I've never bought that argument.

Maybe it's time to get a little less civilized or as they said in Pulp Fiction get medieval on their ass.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the issue is that the law/ rule/ policy that dictates the exact method of the lethal injection combo is overly restrictive and way more specific than medically necessary. The intent is to kill the person, not for reversable anesthesia and the specific type of meds used (Ultra short acting Barbituate vs. short or longer acting, like Phenobarbital- which is widely available) isn't as important, as long as enough is used.

I wonder if the anti- death penalty groups fought for the specific meds required during the editing and approval of the law, with the intent of future attacks on the process.

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those first 2 drugs in the series are completely unnecessary. I know for a fact that the 3rd drug is very readily available. I give it all the time, and its even often the IV form. :werd:

Hopefully, you aren't giving it IV push..

The pancuronium is used for 2 reasons. 1. Is to make the death look peaceful for those watching. Hard for the prisoner to move/jerk on potassium injection, if paralyzed with pancuronium. 2. The pancuronium is a paralytic, hence it paralyzes the diaphragm. The prisoner will die from apnea eventually, no matter if the potassium dose is ineffective or not. If the pancuronium was administered alone, the prisoner would be fully awake/aware and feel himself asphyxiate up until his death, and it would still look like a peaceful passing to people watching, other than the prisoner being blue.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopefully, you aren't giving it IV push..

The pancuronium is used for 2 reasons. 1. Is to make the death look peaceful for those watching. Hard for the prisoner to move/jerk on potassium injection, if paralyzed with pancuronium. 2. The pancuronium is a paralytic, hence it paralyzes the diaphragm. The prisoner will die from apnea eventually, no matter if the potassium dose is ineffective or not. If the pancuronium was administered alone, the prisoner would be fully awake/aware and feel himself asphyxiate up until his death, and it would still look like a peaceful passing to people watching, other than the prisoner being blue.

I gotta admit, I really don't see the problem there ... :shocked:

You know, I was actually against the death penalty until I worked for a lawyer who handled death penalty cases that were in the appeal process. It still makes my skin crawl the things that made what were cut and dried cases "retry-able" ... there is due process and then there is just a raping of the justice system.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking! sodium thiopental? Sodium= salt. Thio, thio, well Theo is a Cosby kid. I'm saying salt and maybe windex? That oughta do the trick!

Thio is a prefix indicating that there is a sulfur atom present in the compound

The IUPAC name for the drug is (RS)-[5-ethyl-4,6-dioxo-5-(pentan-2-yl)-1,4,5,6-tetrahydropyrimidin-2-yl]sulfanide sodium

Its structure is as follows:
[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom