Shortened my 870 barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had plans on buying an 18" barrel, but then I dropped the 28" in the shop, and bent the end. Instead of doing the smart and responsible thing, by taking it to a smith and having him straighten it out, I did what many OSAers would do.....

Fire up the power tools and experiment.

She started out as a standard 870 Express Magnum, 28" barrel, wood stock. I measured about 47 times and put the cutting disc on the grinder. After that I evened it out with the grinder, filed the burrs, and finished it off with sandpaper. I sprayed the end with some flat black, exterior spray paint. After the grinding and filing she ended up at a shade over 18 3/4".There is one little nick on the face of the barrel, I slipped with the grinder.

The stock is a little dinged up from over 10 years of duck hunting. She ain't the prettiest girl at the dance, but I got a HD shotgun now and an afternoon to myself in the shop.

Please excuse the picture quality, they were taken with my Blackberry.

ai83.photobucket.com_albums_j305_williefl386_IMG00122.jpg

ai83.photobucket.com_albums_j305_williefl386_IMG00123.jpg

ai83.photobucket.com_albums_j305_williefl386_IMG00127.jpg

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did the same thing with my Mossberg except I used Cold Blue 4440 instead of paint. I know what you mean about measuring 47 times. I actually cut mine off with a cut-off saw and did a test run about an inch from the end to see how it would work. Then I just went to town and it looked damn good!

BC

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did the same thing with my Mossberg except I used Cold Blue 4440 instead of paint. I know what you mean about measuring 47 times. I actually cut mine off with a cut-off saw and did a test run about an inch from the end to see how it would work. Then I just went to town and it looked damn good!

BC

I looked for some cold blue, but didn't find it at walmart or home depot.

For the guys a little nervous, just make sure you leave yourself enough room for your finishing work. I made my cut at 20" and when I got done with the finishing (grinding, filing, sanding) I ended up right at 18 3/4".

Worst case scenario is you get to buy a new barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom