Should I carry uninsured motorist coverage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The maximum I have to pay annually is $2k for in network and $4K for out of network. I do have a fully funded emergency fund. Honestly I feel like I don't need the UM coverage but considering my run of bad luck lately (lost home, cars, everything on the 20th, three months three days later my daughter was born 11 weeks early weighing 2lb 8 oz, so far shes on day 28 in the NICU.) $300 a year is not much to pay for some piece of mind for the very unlikely event we get hit by a UM and my health insurance wont cover it. I've learned my lesson about crappy insurance (hence me dropping farmers for USAA) my new house is covered as high as I could get it covered. OSA wins I'll keep the UM coverage. Thanks for the advice.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
in the state of Oklahoma? Hell yes you should. And I would make sure my full coverage limits are high enough to cover the cost of whatever you are driving. Hitting an suv is 40k easy.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bro, from a guy who helps accident victims every day...YES YES YES. Keep UM, add medical payment coverage and understand even your own insurance company is not your friend.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bro, from a guy who helps accident victims every day...YES YES YES. Keep UM, add medical payment coverage and understand even your own insurance company is not your friend.

Uncle JB is right. Keep in mind, it pays in addition to your medical coverage. And it's a contractual obligation between you and your insurance company. If they attempt to screw you, JB will use two glorious words: "Bad Faith". It's kind of a lawyer's favorite phrase when it comes to insurance.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uncle JB is right. Keep in mind, it pays in addition to your medical coverage. And it's a contractual obligation between you and your insurance company. If they attempt to screw you, JB will use two glorious words: "Bad Faith". It's kind of a lawyer's favorite phrase when it comes to insurance.

Yes, because the right "bad faith" case would let Uncle JB retire in glorious style to his castle in the Rocky Mountains.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm going to check into if I have UM and how much I have if I do have it.

But I am curious to know why the OP has bad blood with Farmers. I've been with them for several years, I've had one auto claim and one house claim and they treated me right on both. I have a friend that owns an independent insurance agency, he reviewed my homeowners policy and said that it's a great value - he didn't have anything better to offer me. So I'm really curious to know what went wrong for you - I really don't hear much bad about Farmers.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely this. Even if your agent is.

I can't echo this enough. People seem to forget that insurance companies are in the business of making as much money as they can; they wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't look for any possible way to minimize payouts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom