Show me your tactical vest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know that there's much spall with ceremaic plates, I've only heard them being absolutely necessary for steel plates. Plates are there to protect the vitals, the most important ones being the lungs heart and spine. What if I get shot in the arm, I could probably survive. What if I get shot in the stomach, I would probably survive. What if I get shot in the face, I'm screwed. I wanted these plates for only the extreme scenario and to protect my most vital organs. I am not planning on being shot at day in and day out and I want to be mobile as possible. Spall guards, groin armor, shoulder armor, and other protection doesn't fit my need. If I am ever in a situation where I need to wear my plates and I'm worried about spall or my junk being shot, I'm probably already screwed. Having body armor won't ensure I will survive, in only increases my chances. Increasing my chances more with added protection decreases my mobility and I think that will hurt my chances of survival. Its a balance of protection and mobility for me. If I was in AFG I would want all the protection I could get. But even then I think mobility is an issue too. Just my thoughts with no prior military background.

BallisticGuy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Afghanistan with issue gear, Plate carrier with front/rear/Side plates. Truck gunners only wore the shoulder panels. On the missons we just wore the plate carriers.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good points Wormy....mobility is a key consideration. That being said, the spall guards don't add much weight, usually just a thin lining applied over the face of the plate.

I've seen spall from a 7.62x39 on a ceramic plate...big enough chunks that would put a hurting on a fella's chin/face/neck and take him out of the fight!

Back to the vest pics though, sorry for the hijack.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I've got a question....when and where do you guys wear these rigs? Are these "bug out" rigs? Or do some of you guys put together your own for active duty use?

Jango8753

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep it simple and light. I would not put a pistol on the vest. Keep your AR mags there and minimal gear. have a second tier belt (so you can drop vest and still be armed/prepared) for the pistol and extra gear.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wormy, I am walking behind you from village to village when the SHTF. That's a BA looking picture. I always like the pictures of your gear for reason.

Latest posts

Top Bottom