SHTF currency

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not what they used after Katrina. Common goods, food, luxury items, vice items, water, fuel, generators, etc. are what'll be traded by the vast majority in the event of SHTFing.

If it gets worse than these items and booze and smokes being traded, like into some kind of medieval thing, most of humankind will be long gone. Only one in a hundred, or maybe even less, will make it past the booze and cigarettes stage of barter.

MarkV

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think it would depend on the degree of "SHTF".
In a total meltdown of society, we would immediately return to the barter system, with food, water and probably knowledge as the most valuable commodities. Gold has no intrinsic value, it's really not good for anything, it's currrent value stems from it's rarity. It would probably be as valuable as fine art.
However, if we are simply talking about a breakdown of our government, with other stable governments still existing in the world, then gold would retain more value and be far more portable than potable water!

I think this sums it up pretty good.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think there is another scenario. If we got in such shape of a societal break down, we'd be invaded. There is no way that a country so rich in natural resources and with a good climate will be left alone.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think there is another scenario. If we got in such shape of a societal break down, we'd be invaded. There is no way that a country so rich in natural resources and with a good climate will be left alone.

Unlike the middle eastern countries Americans won't be throwing rocks. Our ability to keep and own firearms is what keep other countries and our own government from turning on us. If you went to the Tulsa gun show on Saturday you'd have seen thousand of Americans exercising that right. Just something to think about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom