Sig 245 or 220 compact, anybody own one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stillhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody ever own and shoot a sig 245 or 220 compact. From what I gather the 245 was discontinued and reintroduced with a beavertail to become the 220 compact, but I have heard very little of either gun.

I'd like to know what you're overall impressions of it are, especially for carry. I do like shooting the 220, and the 220 "carry elite" But, in my humble opinion, merely taking a little barrel length off the full size220, then rendering it in a full steel frame, does not qualify it as a "carry" model.

I'm just kind of a sig fan trying to fill a gap in my wardrobe of carry guns between the Jframe revolver and the full size pistols.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at a standard 220 Carry and was impressed. Alloy frame with no beavertail. Kind of like a commander version of the 220. Not 100% sure but I think that the same holster can be used for the 220 Carry and the 229.

Stillhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh I'm impressed with the 220 carry too, and yes its only the carry elite that is all steel. It's just still to big for me to carry, especially in the grip. What i really need is a shortened grip, which is what the 245 and 220compact offer.

These two look to me like they'd be great carry guns but you never hear anything about them and I've never even seen a 220 compact in a store which has me hesitant to purchase one.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]
another view
[Broken External Image]

There is actually a ton of info on these SIGs out there. As you would expect most of it is on the Sigforum. People who don't own one tend to disparage the short grip. People that own one love it!. I find the P245 one of the most accurate and soft shooting .45s I own. There are a few things you can do to make it better. Mine has a Grayguns Carry Reduced Reset Action Package (CRRAP-great name!) and I have added Hogue SIG re-checkered grips and the base plate from the 220 compact magazines.

There are differences other than the beavertail. The P245 is a folded slide model and the P220 compact is stainless slide. The magazines are interchangeable and the base plates of the compact are ever so slightly longer than the 245. To me, the folded slide SIGs feel different (much better). This was my primary carry until I converted over to DAK SIGs some time back. Unfortunately you cannot convert a P245 to DAK. You can buy a DAK compact but the beavertail turns me off so bad I would never do so. I put the combo shown up for sale awhile ago but then withdrew it and put it in the safe. My primary now is a DAK P229 .357 Sig or P220 fullsize.

Fred Baker has had several of the P220 compacts at different times. The P245 is no longer produced but NIB ones are still available. I know where there are some in the OKC vicinity at a better price than you will find a compact model. PM me if you are interested. I have no connection to the store.

I owned a P220 Carry at one time but the thing just did not feel right to me. I stick with the full size or the 245 (compact size).

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Nice gun IkenI! I used to want to get one of the 245's, but just not as into Sigs anymore. If they would offer a double stack 220, then I'd be on it. The single stack 220 is just too thin for me.

Stillhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the post IkenI! That does look like a nice rig. How does it shoot? And what holster is that?

I handled a used two tone 245 at the pawn shop, and I don't think the short grip is a problem for me. I didn't like that their price was within 100 of a new kimber stainless.

I do feel the same way about the beavertail on the compact.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the post IkenI! That does look like a nice rig. How does it shoot? And what holster is that?
Shoots great! The CRRAP smoothed it up some and shortened the reset but it shot well before it. That's a Milt Sparks VMII. I have them for all my SIGs. Very comfortable carry.
I handled a used two tone 245 at the pawn shop, and I don't think the short grip is a problem for me. I didn't like that their price was within 100 of a new kimber stainless.
That sounds way too high for a used gun. I'm not a fan of two tones for CCW. I like em black. As a matter of fact, my P229 slide is away getting changed from stainless to black now, and my P220 SAS will probably be next.
I do feel the same way about the beavertail on the compact.
I carried the 1911 platform for many years and they are great, but...as you can tell...I like SIGs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom