Sightmark Scopes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
P.S. Mr. N3T - if you *DO* get a 4.5-30 Elite 6500, and/or if you do some more research on them re: clarity at the upper magnification ranges, then PLEASE let me know what you discover, as I'd really LIKE to like that scope for a long range build I'm going to do in the future (probably gonna be a Desert Tactical "Stealth Recon Scout" 28" in 7mm WSM or 6.5mm-'06). But if it's no good, then I'll likely run with a Sightron fixed-power target scope, or a March/Selby if I hit the lottery.

PPS. Two final thoughts, since you're looking at these really really high magnification scopes:

1. Don't forget that mirage usually wipes out your scope somewhere around the 20-30x range, or less when it's hot; sometimes a lot less, and the lower the glass quality, the quicker mirage wipes you out. So it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend more money to get magnifictions past 20 or 24x, unless you go all the way to spending a LOT more money on a large objective lens, and ultra high quality glass. You do NOT want to go low end on anything over about 20x. And I recommend going no LESS than a 50mm objective lens for anything over 18-20x top end, unless it's really, really high quality glass, in which case 42 or 44mm works (maybe even 40).

2. If the purpose of this rifle is truly a long-range, teensy-group, target rifle, as your inquiry suggests, where you simply MUST have 30x or more power, remember that fixed powers are better than variables for this, and you can get a lot more value for your money in terms of glass quality, due to the fewer lenses and therefore more light transmission of the fixed powers. So to get a fixed power target scope, here's the brands to look at, roughly, from less expensive to more expensive/better: Weaver, Leupold, Sightron S3, March - may be a few others. You can get a Weaver target scope for around $300 that will really dial you in close at long range, pretty clearly.

Semi-autos have strong recoil forces that tend to be a bit abusive to optics. I won't say that cheaper scopes won't work, just that the odds of having to buy another (replacement) are much higher. Having a scope go down when you're punching paper is no biggie; if you hunt it can be painfully disappointing.

Yes, yes - precisely; thank you.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest a high magnification fixed power scope. 30X on a .308 come on. Did you watch the "Top Shots" show or whatever it was called where Mike Seeklander was on. The lady on the show had a hard time finding the target with the spotting scope. Either she didn't know how to turn it down or it had too high of a magnification for such a short range shot. :smash:

N3TD3ViL

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Semi-autos have strong recoil forces that tend to be a bit abusive to optics.

If you haven't fired a POF P-.308 rifle, you wouldn't know, but allow me to say that the recoil is comparable to that of a .22 rifle. No, that's not an exaggeration. That is fact. I finally got the chance to fire it yesterday and I was bracing for one hell of a recoil and was utterly amazed at how little recoil it has. That being said, recoil won't be an issue.

Here are a few reviews on the 4.5x30x50mm

5 out of 5 stars
WOW - unreal quality, November 17, 2008
By JPairgunner from Southeastern PA

"What a great scope. A little pricey...but what do you expect for quality. I have Nikon's, Swift's, and Leupold's and the image quality is very good. The magnification (4.5-30x) is awesome and really alows for some diversifed hunting. I have it mounted on Rem 700 Sendero in 7mm mag with a custom Krieger barrel and the scope has very good tracking....no impact shifts.

Has held up to some serious loads of 139gr Hornady and 168gr Berger of 3500 and 3175 fps respectively. Other scopes have failed with this. Also, the tactical lines work really well on the recticle. Highly recommend this scope"

5 out of 5 stars
4.5-30 mildot, September 27, 2008
By Anonymous from PugetSound, WA

"This is an excellent scope. The optics are very bright and crisp out to 30x considering the exit pupil is very low at this point. It tracks very well and windage/elevation adjustments are defined per click. Magnification ring is smooth with tons of eye relief.
I'll be using this scope on predators and varmints. After several trips to the range I am very impressed with this Bushnell."

Would you recommend this product to a friend? Yes

5 out of 5 stars
Quality Riflescope !, June 26, 2008
By SniperAce from Pennsylvania

"This scopes glass is just as clear if not clearer than many other expensive riflescopes I have looked at, (Zeiss, Leupold, Burris), but bushnell beat them all with better features. It has a 6.5 magnification range 4.5x-30x. It has crystal clear clarity even up to its 30x zoom ! The side focus is extremely accurate in its ranges. I have verified all of them with my bushnell legend rangefinder. The windage and elevation adjustments are semi-target turrets and are extremely smooth. They turrets are resettable too without the need of any tools. This riflescope is very rugged and lightweight. Buy this riflescope, you will not regret it !"

Would you recommend this product to a friend? Yes

4 out of 5 stars
By C. Hall from Bozeman, MT, January 19, 2009

This is a nice scope. It is sharp and bright throughout its range, except at the max power (30x), where it gets a little bit cloudy.

5 out of 5 stars
By Carter Leffen from Kennebunkport, ME, 7/4/2009

Superb quality, clarity, ease of use, design, and robust manufacture. When compared to more expensive tactical scopes from other makers, the Bushnell 6500 Elite stands head and shoulders above the crowd. Light gathering is outstanding, with the image clear throughout the 4.5-30X range. I like them well enough, that I purchased three of them. Now, if they could only provide them with lit reticles...

5 out of 5 stars
Charles Oberg from Harris, MN, 1/15/2010

The third Bushnell Elite rifle scope I've purchased and I'm still impressed! The clarity and brightness rivals any high dollar scope out there that's twice as much or more! Nothing but excellence in precise tracking for sight corrections, even when using it on two rifles I put in the correct adjustments from one to another and it's exactly where it's supposed to be. With Bushnells legendary recoil testing I know it will outlive me. The best and brightest!

5 out of 5 stars
by R. Haynes, February 27, 2010

I have a dozen or more rifles with scopes, some pricier than this Bushnell but none better in performance or accuracy. The target turrets track precisely and repeat with amazing accuracy. I shoot at long distances so I needed the extra power. I adjust the scope to be zeroed at 500 yds, shoot a string, and then dial back to the 200 yd zero and find it precise and unchanged. The extended range of adjustments with elevation is very important out beyond the 300 yd. point. 90 MOA adjustment range is almost twice the range of other scopes. I am well pleased with the quality, the clarity, and precision of this well-made optic. It is like being laser guided when out beyond 300 yds. As a result of my experience with this scope I bought the less expensive Tactical Elite 3200 5-15x to replace a Simmons scope on one of my rifles and will buy another 6500 when I get my new long range rifle. This is a great scope at a great price, hands down more bang for the buck than a Nightforce or other "costalotsa" riflescope.

Before anyone asks, no I didn't only search for positive reviews. I specifically searched for reviews on the Bushnell 4.5-30x50mm Tactical Elite 6500.

Basically, I want a scope that I can enjoy on a day at the range, even out to 700yds if that's what I want to do. At the same time, I want a scope that will double as a good hunting scope on my POF.

Oh, and here's a better and more detailed description than what the previous link had.

Bushnell 4.5-30x50mm Tactical Elite 6500

[Broken External Image]

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It should be a versatile scope for you. I have a 6500 and a 4200. Nice scopes.
I have a 2.5x16x50, which I think is a better choice on a .308. I have mine on my Sako TRG-S 300WM and the 4200 is 6x18x50 I believe.....haven't looked at it lately.

Reaction score
Well in that case I'd run with that Elite 6500 - I cannot remember where I saw those negative comments - perhaps opticsplanet.com forums - sounds good and let us know.

Here's more reviews I found:

Great Scope Great SWFA Price
I bought this scope based on some good reviews it has on some other sites, I bought it from SWFA because of the price, $200.00 cheaper than Midway and some other sites. Back to scope, this scope has the quality of some big name scopes costing 4x the price. The optics are crisp and clear, power range from 4.5x-30x I was skeptical that at the higher power range it wasn't going to have the "white out effect", but it stays crisp and clear even at 30x times. It tracks like it should, the target knobs have a silent, but crisp feel when you move them. One year no questions asked warranty if you are not completely satisfied and a lifetime transferable warranty after that.

The 4.5 -30 is again bright and clear, which bushnell's typically excellent contrast and it zooms a treat up to about 24x, where like all high-mag scopes, you start to need to be careful with your eyebox. It retains its brightness from 24x upwards better than the 4200 8-32x40 and is still bright at 30x. It is, however, a shade fussy at this mag and not as sharp and crisp as i'd like. I mean, you're still able to see bullet holes and flies on the traget and all that -it just isn't JUMPING out at you like 24x does on a swaro 6-24x50 PH/PV for example. Flare control is frankly poor at 30x, but much better controlled under 24x. I doubt you'll be pointing at the sky much for 30x shots anyway! ;)
It's is a brighter 8-32x scope than the 4200 is, which is far sharper IME than the Burris BlackDiamond. The Leupolds don't go anywhere near that mag. Unfortunately i haven't tested the Nightforce NXS 8-32. The truly excellent Weaver Grand Slam 6-20 can't be compared, nor the likewise superlative Conquest 6.5-20 as 20x is a million miles away from 30x or 32x. So that represent a significant achievment, AND you can zoom down to 4.5x, where it is gorgeous (neither scope compromises at all at the bottom end, although across-the-glass focus is not totally uniform so pannning is slightly harder on the eye than a Swarovski PH/PV, the only scope i've used that is perfectly uniform all the way across and pans without subtle changes of focus giving you a headache)
Close focus and rangefinding is really excellent (the HFT boys will love this). It is marked down to 25yards on the SF dial.

If you look at the competition in the 6.5x mag range, you have to buy a 6500 at this price. If you want such versatility (why wouldn't you?) it is a no-brainer, as the shermans say :)
There is competition to the 2.5-16 in that the Z6 is similar but again, way over twice as much money.
Nobody anywhere is doing a 4.5-30 so there you have it.... IME the 4200 8-32x40 is the best 8-32 and this is better but with a 4.5 bottom end! For not a great deal more. Or imagine it is an excellent 4-16x50 SF like the nikon monarch, for example, but with at least 10x more tack-sharp mag built in for, again, not a lot more money :D It's not perfect and i'm sure in time someone luxurious will do it with a tack-sharp 30x top end but i assure you it will be $2000. I have, as a matter of interest, used a PM11 5-25x50 and i wasn't exactly blown away by the 25x setting on that either, so the bushnell elite 6500 really has done something impressive here, as at 25x this scope is still great and with a good bit to go!

I have a dozen or more rifles with scopes, some pricier than this Bushnell but none better in performance or accuracy. The target turrets track precisely and repeat with amazing accuracy. I shoot at long distances so I needed the extra power. I adjust the scope to be zeroed at 500 yds, shoot a string, and then dial back to the 200 yd zero and find it precise and unchanged. The extended range of adjustments with elevation is very important out beyond the 300 yd. point. 90 MOA adjustment range is almost twice the range of other scopes. I am well pleased with the quality, the clarity, and precision of this well-made optic. It is like being laser guided when out beyond 300 yds. As a result of my experience with this scope I bought the less expensive Tactical Elite 3200 5-15x to replace a Simmons scope on one of my rifles and will buy another 6500 when I get my new long range rifle. This is a great scope at a great price, hands down more bang for the buck than a Nightforce or other "costalotsa" riflescope.

By the way, this scope is as low as $789 if you look around the net at retail sites, and even just $659.99 new on Ebay! :eek: Dang, that ain't much more than I paid for the 2.6-16x50.

As far as this pretty consistently-reported "less-than-stellar" clarity at the upper range (see bolded above, which is same as I found before) - that sounds kinda sketchy on the one hand, but then again, you can just simply dial back down to 22, 24, 26, somwhere in there until it looks very good, and STILL have an incredibly good and versatile scope - worst case scenario, one that goes from 4.5 up to 24 power, with all the features like the internal adjustment range, side focus, and all that. It's pretty much win-win, even if you never dial up past 24-26 or so.

Reaction score
Oh, Wow -- apparently it's now out / actually exists - the Elite 6500 1.25-8x32!!!! That is the pig's shiz-nizzle for about 1/2 to 2/3rds of my rifles. Must....save....$$. :eek: :D :eek: :D

http://www.google.com/search?q=Revi...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

I'm not worthy!!!!

I think the day is coming within a decade or so when all of my scoped rifles will have one of these scopes on them:

1. An Elite 6500 in one of those 4 configs (2.5-16x42, 2.5-16x50, 4.5-30x50, or 1.25-8x32)
2. A Nikon Omega/Slugmaster in 1.65-5x36 or 3-9x40 -- for when I need supreme eye relief

with the possible exceptions of (a) keeping my two 1.5-6x40mms (Sightron S2 & Burris Signature Select), to give a bit more exit pupil on 6x than the Elite 6500 1.25-8x32mm, (b) perhaps some Trijicon Accupoints, and (c) a Sightron S3 or March fixed power for a long range rig (something like a 50x60 March).

I definitely go in for the extreme versatility of these scopes.

At least until I can afford some Premier, USO, and S&B.

Reaction score
Generally, more equals better - well the higher the *range* of eye relief the better. It's very very important on big boomers with a lot of recoil or with a scout type setup, OR if you want to forward-mount it in front of an AR-style charging handle, and low. You said yours recoils very little, so that doesn't call for any crazy eye relief, but if you want to mount it BOTH forward and low, then you may want such eye relief as is afforded by the Nikon Omega or some Trijicons and some Leupolds.

Oh, what is it..... It's the distance(s) (the range of distances) which your eye is from the ocular bell/lens, where the scope is usable - where you don't have blackout. Too far back or too far forward, you blackout and cannot use the scope. In between, you can. The distance in this sweet spot is the ER. Some scopes it is wide range (deep may be a better description), and on some scopes that window is very narrow/shallow. The Nikon Omega 1.65-5x36 has the deepest/biggest/best eye relief range of any scope made, I'm pretty sure - when on 1.65 power, it has a full field of view (no blackout) all the way from around 5.5" out to 13.5" or so. The Omega 3-9x40 when set on 3 power, has ER from 3.5" out to around 8 or 9"! It's much more than advertised - I think they don't want to cut into the sales of their higher priced premium lines by letting the word out too much about how good the Omega line is.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing to note is that it probably ranges at 30x if it is a second focal plane scope (it is). That means if you use it at 24x, your ranging will not be correct and your mil holds will also be incorrect. The good thing is if it ranges at 30x then it 1/2 ranges at 15x so you can still use the mil-dot reticle to basically its full potential if you keep the 1/2 in mind.