Sightmark Scopes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N3TD3ViL

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In that case I'd go with a Bushnell Elite 4200 series, but they're still higher than that Sightmark.

I noticed the Bushnell Elite series. How does it compare with Nikon and Leupold?

This is the one I was looking at. Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50

• Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Tactical Model
  • Rainguard
  • Free Sun Shade w/ Purchase
  • Free Fleece Pullover (Mail-In Coupon)

[Broken External Image]

Reaction score
Dude, if you're gonna drop the dough for a POF .308, please get a decent scope.

That's kinda what I'm thinking. I cannot say for sure they're bad, but no reason to believe they're good either. SightRON stuff is good - Sightmark, I dunno - kinda doubt it. MAYBE it'll hold up, but you're taking a risk with such a new 'maker'.

I'm just not keen on spending as much on a scope as I did for the rifle.

Well, my opinion on that: You *should* get it in your head, IMO, going forward, that you ought to do just about exactly that, more or less, *if* you might hunt with it, and/or use it for serious self-defense and/or competition. Now if just a plinkin gun, then sure, the Sightmark or similar will probably do fine - since, if it craps out on you, you're 'out' solely the use of THAT gun at THAT range sesssion; just go on to shoot the next gun you brought to the range with you; but if it craps out on a hunting trip or competition, or worse, during self-defense, you're 'out' a LOT more. Good glass is an investment, and will last decades on end, just like the rifle.

IMO, you should take the approach that you get whatever glass quality is necessary to match the use of the rifle, whether the scope is 1/2 the price as the rifle, the same price, or twice as much. I've put a $400 elite 4200 scope on a 110 Savage that cost $250 before, and put a $450 Trijicon scope on a $99 Marlin 60 before. Plinkin scopes for plinkin rifles. Serious scope for good/accurate rifles. So there's no set rules, as long as the scope reliability and quality matches the *use* and accuracy level of the rifle (mainly the use).

I'd say that in general, it's a good idea to consider spending at least 40%-50% of the rifle's cost on a scope, up to as much as the rifle itself or even more. In this case, spending 40% 'allows you to spend' (or 'warrants' spending) what, at least $1,040 on something really nice, instead of that $300 sightmark which frankly may be on the junky side. I'd look at LEAST in the $350-$500 range, which is before you start getting serious diminishing returns on price in scopes. That's a pretty good 'sweet spot' in scope values from reputable makers - that $350 up to $500/$600 range.

I'd look at the ones we know are good in the low-moderate price range: Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell Elites, Burris, Sightron, maybe Weaver. Particularly, I like Bushnell Elites, Sightron, Nikon, and sometimes Leupold, and Trijicon when I can afford it. If I HAD to pick just one brand, where you really can't go wrong in terms of value in any line you pick, I'd go with Nikon. Obviously, if you can afford upper end, look at high-end Leupold, Trijicon Accupoint, Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, Hensoldt, Nightforce, Schmidt & Bender, US Optics, Premier Reticles, March, IOR/Valdada, Kahles, etc. These will hold their value like a Mercedez or Lexus, and you shelled out for the rifle; so why not wait and shell out for the glass?

Caveat after reading the later posts: I've read some bad on the Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 - people say that it's not very clear towards the upper end. Now the Elite 6500 2.5-16x50 is a very good scope, and I can vouch for that as I have this one and it is outstanding. Moreoever, it would be frankly a fantastic choice for that POF, IMO, because the line of sight allows you to use the full large objective lens (50mm), and the range of 2.5-16 is versatile enough to use for close-in defense out to long-range hunting and practical competition. But also look at the little sister of that one, the Elite 6500 2.5-16x42mm. Same magnification, but a little smaller & lighter. But do the research before getting the 4.5-30 config.

The Elite 6500 2.5-16x50mm is around $600 (again, twice the sightmark, but what, 23% of the rifle's price?), and it's a fantastic scope. I have it on a T/C Encore Prohunter in .280 rem and am very pleased with the combo. It's a bit on the heavy side for an already heavy GP .308 class battle rifle, but if you don't might the weight and size, it'd be a good choice.

The best scope you can get, on a budget, IMO, for that or any rifle, is the Nikon Omega / Slugmaster in one of these two configs:

1. 3-9x40mm
2. 1.65-5x36mm

For that rifle, I'd get the 3-9x40mm, on a really tight budget, if wanting something a little lighter than say, that Elite 6500 2.5-16x50. These are both under $250, and are the lowest price I'd go for that rifle. But these have the quality of a $400 scope or better, IMO.

Another incredibly good choice for that rifle, since you're leaning toward the upper end of the magnification spectrum, if you can in any way afford it, is the Trijicon 5-20x50mm Accupoint scope - good stuff, Maynard.

Believe me, I'm not a glass or gun snob at all, and you do occasionally get a little more than what you pay for, such as with the Elite series scopes, the Sightrons, and most Nikons, but the general rule still holds: You've got to spend more to get more in terms of reliability/repeatability & glass/coating quality, up to a point, and this holds true *particularly* in the non-standard high-magnification ranges you're looking at! Which is why the Elite 6500 4.5-30 may not cut the mustard (from what I hear).

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, my opinion on that: You *should* get it in your head, IMO, going forward, that you ought to do just about exactly that, more or less, *if* you might hunt with it, and/or use it for serious self-defense and/or competition (now if just a plinkin gun, then sure, the Sightmark or similar will probably do fine).

Well, since he went ahead and said it...:chat: Lots of people freak, and call one a snob for saying/doing this, but ultimately, you'll be much happier. I have a $700 .308 with a $400 Burris Sig on it. Clear glass, excellent warranty, and a build strong enough that I probably won't need the warranty, with my usage.

Semi-autos have strong recoil forces that tend to be a bit abusive to optics. I won't say that cheaper scopes won't work, just that the odds of having to buy another (replacement) are much higher. Having a scope go down when you're punching paper is no biggie; if you hunt it can be painfully disappointing.