Sightmark Scopes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're not gonna get S&B glass for <800 dollars, but I think for that 800, you get pretty darn good value for the money. Even if it is a little underwhelming at 30x, you could probably still dial it up and at least range with it. If you're shooting at know ranges it's moot anyway. Just dial in your dope from your range card and put it on the bullseye.

Reaction score
Oh wait, that 1.25-8x32 also has the side parallax adjustment on it. Big Boooooooooo! Don't want to fiddle with any kind of focusing crap on anything but a long range rig - violates KISS for a snap shooting / basic hunting rifle. Won't be getting any of them after all. :( :(

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you haven't fired a POF P-.308 rifle, you wouldn't know, but allow me to say that the recoil is comparable to that of a .22 rifle. No, that's not an exaggeration. That is fact. I finally got the chance to fire it yesterday and I was bracing for one hell of a recoil and was utterly amazed at how little recoil it has. That being said, recoil won't be an issue.
You should be fine with the Bushnell, but please know that recoil isn't "recoil" universally:

Air Rifle Scopes
Choosing the right air rifle scope can be a daunting task. There are dozens to choose from and all of them have different features to offer you. To make things easier, lets examine the basics of airgun scopes. Essentially, a scope simply magnifies an image you are targeting and puts you on the same visual plane as the object. It does this by using a series of lenses inside the scope to bend the light that enters so that it magnifies the image. An air rifle scope is special because it can withstand the unique vibration and double recoil of an air rifle. NEVER PUT A FIREARM SCOPE ON AN AIR RIFLE. Now, the reason people enjoy having scopes on their air rifles is because it will help you achieve the pinpoint accuracy that air rifles are known for. So, let’s take a look at the two different kinds of scopes starting with fixed air rifle scopes.
Excerpted from Airgun Depot ARs are more akin to airguns in force distribution, rather than bolt guns. That was why I cautioned against an "economy" high-mag, fine-adjustment optic.;)

N3TD3ViL

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
...but please know that recoil isn't "recoil" universally.

Pardon if I seem a little slow, as this is all new to me. What exactly do you mean by your statement above?

Those of you who have offered input and continue to do so, thank you for all of your information on this topic. The scope that I came with the POF that I purchased on Gun Broker is shown below. I have yet to be able to see how it performs at the range but the clarity seems to be pretty decent.

[Broken External Image]

If you're wondering why I am wanting to spend money on new optics, I want the best setup (optics) I can get without dropping more than $1000. I know you get what you pay for, and although I'm no tactical sniper or anything of the sort, I want to have a setup that I'm proud to show off that will perform without my having to take out a small loan. LoL

I absolutely LOVE my rifle and I'm wanting the best performance-per-dollar when it comes to purchasing optics for it.

Nightops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The lady on the show had a hard time finding the target with the spotting scope. Either she didn't know how to turn it down or it had too high of a magnification for such a short range shot. :smash:

It also looked like she might have been too short and had the spotting scope aimed way up the hill too high. But with less magnification, the FOV would have been larger and she could have seen how far off she was.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But with less magnification, the FOV would have been larger and she could have seen how far off she was...............I did not know that.........J/K......I was half asleep when the show was on.....either way she didn't know what she was doing. Seeklander's first spotter wasn't much help either....

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pardon if I seem a little slow, as this is all new to me. What exactly do you mean by your statement above?

Recoil in a bolt action is one direction and linear (more or less straight back). Becuase a semi-auto cycles itself, and uses some variation of gas or energy transfer, it also has a comparatively rough/abrupt forward motion (reverse recoil, if you will). A decent scope, using an etched reticle and metal to metal adjustment, and a modestly stout (one-piece) tube will suffer this force for many, many rounds, assuming it is also properly mounted.

So, basically, a bolt snaps back; a semi snaps back-forward. Twice the motion with a sharp transition phase.

"Economy" scopes have the tendency to be 2 or more piece body(seams weaken and allow gas seepage/condensation internally), lower quality metal/metal, or metal/plastic contact points (wear quickly, unreliable repetition of adjustment), and some still use wire reticles, which, with enough flex and motion, will snap.

N3TD3ViL

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
IIRC, Hawk, Vortex, and Eagle are different varieties of the same company, and FWIW, I've heard quite a bit of good about Vortex.

Damn you, Winslow. LoL Now, you've got me looking at Vortex. However, I must admit that I like what I'm seeing with the etched reticle instead of it being wire.

This is what I have my eyes on. It's a little more than others I've been looking at and it doesn't have the 30x magnification but, you get what you pay for and I will rarely, if ever, use the 30x magnification anyway.

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 Riflescope (Matte Black)

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom