Sightmark Scopes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ya know what, I would probably give Vortex a chance at least once, since I've read tons and tons of good on them, and they have the "bullet-proof" (allegedly-Leupold-like) lifetime warranty. Please let us know what you get.

Also, some people are keen on the Falcons, for a reasonably priced FFP scope - but I've read mixed on them - some bad.

And as you see & point out, that Vortex also has the etched / FFP feature there.

But remember, if you're not using the milliradian or MOA dots on the reticle for RANGING purposes, then you really don't need an FFP I don't think. If you're going to use a laser rangefinder or eyeball it, then it doesn't matter - if I'm not mistaken.

The Vortex does have a lighted reticle, if that's a feature you really want. Yeah, I seriously doubt you'd use past 24x much, but then again, you might use it *some* if you had a 30 or more.

But honestly, I'd rather have the Elite 6500 than that Vortex, even without the lighted reticle and FFP, because (a) the 4.5x low end is very important to me. If hunting with it in the woods, 6 power is really bordering on too much, but 4.5 is right about the max to quickly find the target, and would work, (b) the rainguard coating, (c) higher upper end, 30x, and (d) about $150-$200 cheaper. And I don't use mil dots for ranging. I use a laser rangefinder. I'm not nearly good enough, nor have good enough eyesight, to rely upon use of mil dots to range something - not as precise as a laser anyway, even under the best of circumstances. With my longer-range rifles, out to what looks like 300 to me, it's PBR/MPBR/Point-n-click (with maybe just a smidge of Kentucky windage & elevation). Past that, laser rangefinder or bust (pass up the shot).

Now if the 6500 just had a zero stop, then we'd be cookin with butane. It does have the "pull up, turn, then push down to set a zero of sorts" feature, which is better than nothing, but not a zero-stop.

N3TD3ViL

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What's the difference in the Viper PST FFP lineup and the regular Viper PST? I've looked but I guess I'm missing something. However, I will use a range finder rather than using the scope itself.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the difference in the Viper PST FFP lineup and the regular Viper PST? I've looked but I guess I'm missing something. However, I will use a range finder rather than using the scope itself.

FFP = first focal plane.

Meaning that both the reticle and target increase and decrease when zooming in or out. So basically your mils are always correct and you don't have to do math or set your mag. at whatever the mildot reticle is configured for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom