Sleep Apnea, CPAPs and such

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mother got rid of her sleep apnea and off the CPAP through weight loss. I know others who have stopped it and stopped snoring through weight loss.

Not saying you shouldn't use the machine if you need it, but definitely is a factor that should be looked at if you're diagnosed with sleep apnea or even a heavy snorer who doesn't get restful sleep (which was me years ago). It makes a HUGE difference.

Last time I lost weight I know I didn't need the CPAP nearly as much. There are many reasons I need to lose weight, fno longer needing the CPAP is an important one. Now if I could only find some self discipline.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Think mine is a Bi-pap. Anyway, biggest problem I have is 100% of the masks I have tried SUCK (I have tried over 30 different masks). The are constantly sliding up on my face as the harness stretches out during the night. That being said, I still sleep better with than without.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did a sleep study a couple weeks ago and sometime during the night the tech put a cpap machine on me. The next day I felt better than I have in years. Diagnosis is moderate sleep apnea. Haven't picked up the cpap yet but after the sleep study experience I'm looking forward it.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Airway diameter will play on whether you can do w/o CPAP. For me the fat isn't the problem according to the Sleep Doc. I use a Resmed Airsense10 with a Dreamwear mask.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a sleep study done a couple of weeks ago and I haven't heard back from the pulmonologist yet. Guess I'll call this week. The sleep tech had me start with nasal pillows but said I was leaking and losing pressure. She put a chin strap on me so my mouth wouldn't open to lose pressure. She had me put on a full face for a moment and I couldn't stand it. I already knew that because that's why I stopped using my previous CPAP back around 2005. I was awake around 4:30am so checked my glucose and I was at 79. I really hadn't slept all night. I hope the doc has a plan for me.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fortunately, I'm blessed in that I apparently don't need such a thing. However, we were park hosts at an RV park in Utah for about 9 months. The park would loan out a 100' extension cord to folks in the tenting area if they wanted electric for their phones, laptops, etc. We had a couple of ladies come in to tent camp and asked about electric. I first told her we were out of extension cords. She mentioned a CPAP machine, so the wife and I went to Ace Hardware and bought a 100-footer with our own money for her to use.

Good man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also have sleep apnea, but I have -NO- interest in a CPAB.
Oddly enough - I'm as skinny as a rail, but wow my snoring was bad.

I got the mouth piece and it works great. It takes about 3 days to get used to it.
I completely resolved my snoring problem. (Search "SomnoMed Mouth Piece")
Talk to your dentist. They are not cheep, but they work great.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mother got rid of her sleep apnea and off the CPAP through weight loss. I know others who have stopped it and stopped snoring through weight loss.

Not saying you shouldn't use the machine if you need it, but definitely is a factor that should be looked at if you're diagnosed with sleep apnea or even a heavy snorer who doesn't get restful sleep (which was me years ago). It makes a HUGE difference.

Very true. I lost 50 lbs about two years ago (still keeping it off too), and it has helped some. I don’t think that is the solution for central sleep apnea though. Obstructive; yes. I think it’s a big factor. But central apnea is a whole nuther thing. I think.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom