Small black flies in house, cannot figure out where they are coming from.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Found this out by accident. But if you make some really sweet tea, and leave it on the counter for 2 or 3 days without a lid. You will pretty much get rid of your fly problem.

You can pour a little margarita mix, or some other really sweet liquid into a glass, about half to 1/3 full and put one of those paper funnels down into the glass (not touching the liquid) and get them as well. Works like a charm.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had pantry moths one time, but I don't think you'd describe them as looking like flies. They leave little webs where they find food, we had to clean webs off of everything in the pantry. Hard to get rid of, it doesn't sound like that's what you have but if it is I can tell you what we did for them.

View attachment 217938
View attachment 217937
Do they look like this? Commonly called "drain flies".
Psychodidae Psychodidae - Google Search
WE had the same problem. These drain flies come up the drain pipes if a trap dries out from non use. Just run water in little used drain traps ocasionally, to keep this from happening!

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had them really bad last month. Were told they were cluster flies. Look like houseflies but noticeably slower. We had 30 or so around a window. Our pest company said they come through the windows and other cracks? Didn’t make sense to me but he sprayed the exterior of the house and we haven’t had anymore

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have any indoor plants and I don't have any fruit (like bananas) sitting on a counter top, but this entire summer I've had these tiny black flying things in my house. They don't bite but are attracted to light like any other small stupid bug.

Anyone know what they could be? Or what is typical to find in OK?
Drains

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had them really bad last month. Were told they were cluster flies. Look like houseflies but noticeably slower. We had 30 or so around a window. Our pest company said they come through the windows and other cracks? Didn’t make sense to me but he sprayed the exterior of the house and we haven’t had anymore
The same thing happens to me every July/August. I've examined and sealed every crack and crevis around the bedroom windows (the only place they show up) and generally keep my windows closed during the summer so as not to air conditioning the entire State of Oklahoma 😁. I even keep the drain water-traps filled (to prevent sewer gas infiltration). Still, they show up regular as clock work every year. Though slightly smaller and definitely slower than typical house flies, they are still a nuisance. I just can't figure out how or where they are getting in.

JH47

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My experience with the little buggers is to (if you have a garbage disposal) turn it on and run several ice cubes down the drain. The shards will help dislodge the gunk in your drain. My plumber showed me and it works!
Nice, will try!

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If there's any doubt that they are in your sink drain,,,
Hang a fly strip over the sink,,,
And a few in other places.

The one over your sink will be covered with the little beasties in no time at all.

Aarond

Latest posts

Top Bottom