• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Smoker/ grill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s all about how much you want to spend. What is your target budget?

I have been around some pretty nice huge home built smokers before. I bought a couple too.. But honestly, usually they aren’t that great. Often times the lids don’t seal up very well, the vents are crap, etc… the person making them needs to be a damn good fabricator and have experience or else the smoker will have flaws

I’ve had pretty good luck searching around online and finding old used offsets. Old oklahoma joes(back when they were actually heavy steel, nothing made recent), old new braunfles, old chuckwagon brand, lifetymes, etc… there was a lot of high quality smokers coming out of Texas in the 90s through the late 2000s

Every now and then you can find them for sale on craigslist, and buy them for a fraction of the cost of new. Make sure the firebox isn’t rusted out. Even better if it was stored under carport or porch.

I bought these two cookers for $100 each. 1/4” thick steel, great fitment on lids/vents.. etc. would be pricey to buy a new equivalent

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
It’s all about how much you want to spend. What is your target budget?

I have been around some pretty nice huge home built smokers before. I bought a couple too.. But honestly, usually they aren’t that great. Often times the lids don’t seal up very well, the vents are crap, etc… the person making them needs to be a damn good fabricator and have experience or else the smoker will have flaws

I’ve had pretty good luck searching around online and finding old used offsets. Old oklahoma joes(back when they were actually heavy steel, nothing made recent), old new braunfles, old chuckwagon brand, lifetymes, etc… there was a lot of high quality smokers coming out of Texas in the 90s through the late 2000s

Every now and then you can find them for sale on craigslist, and buy them for a fraction of the cost of new. Make sure the firebox isn’t rusted out. Even better if it was stored under carport or porch.

I bought these two cookers for $100 each. 1/4” thick steel, great fitment on lids/vents.. etc. would be pricey to buy a new equivalent
How do you know if they are older? Is it by the thickness of the metal?

Okie_dave

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought a Horizon (made in Perry, Ok and sold at Bass Pro) Ranger 16" 8 years ago on this forum. A buddy bought a Horizon 16" classic with cover that I bought from him a few years later.

Have a Hasty Bake Gourmet from the 60s (avocado green) i've had for years. They are all good. Just depends on what you like to cook.

Hasty Bakes are great, easy to adjust heat, easy to move.

Large smokers are great for larger groups.

Latest posts

Top Bottom