So are Meers's Burgers worth the trip..?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes... excellent burgers and great salad bar... service was skimpy, but they were packed and really busy. so totally understandable.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a local, pass on by Meers and go to Anne's Country Kitchen to the east at the intersection of Meers rd. and highway 58.

Good food and service without the ridiculous crowds of Meers. Their hamburgers are awesome, as are the pies and cobblers.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a local, pass on by Meers and go to Anne's Country Kitchen to the east at the intersection of Meers rd. and highway 58.

Good food and service without the ridiculous crowds of Meers. Their hamburgers are awesome, as are the pies and cobblers.

I've heard good things about Anne's. But for some reason, Meers always draws me in.

The burger is longhorn. Very lean. Good size and tasty.

The place itself is eclectic to say the least. Some like it, some don't. It ain't a 4 star place to be sure.

Cobbler is great. Usually Peach or Cherry. Ice cream is home made and it takes two people to eat one serving with the cobbler. And I can eat a mess of cobbler and/or icecream.

Bottled beer isn't too bad either. Big bottles. Can't remember the brewery, but not bad.

Service can be hit or miss, but that seems to be part of the place.

Weekends with good weather can be busy and a long line, or you can luck out and get right in.

No one has mentioned the steaks. You get the ribeye (or is it the filet) by the ounce. They bring it out to you and you get to mark the spot on the "slab" where they cut it. I've heard really good things about it, but in 28 years I've always gotten the Meers Cheesburger, no pickles, no tomatos. Mayo instead of mustard.

If you are an iced tea drinker, I'd consider getting soda. Again, hit or miss on the strength.

The drive around the refuge, Mt. Scott, and the Holy City are worth the trip in themselves.

Dave

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go for the refuge, Meers is OK, but the burgers are a bit dry (Longhorn).

IMO, if you are headed out that way, Meers' lines are long and you really like burgers, go north on the way home, stop at Indian City Lanes bowling alley in Anadarko and get a Shaffer burger (Double cheeseburger) with fried onions and fried Jalapeños. That crumbling little café is to hamburgers what Eischens is to fried chicken. No burned and tasteless "onion burger, like Sid's, JW café or Bunny's, but a thick and flavorful burger on a buttered/ grilled bun.

Guaranteed to drip all over your shirt and make the drive home a exercise in staying awake.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would be an excellent part of a day trip or even a week-end trip. The Wichita's are one of the most unique geological features in the world. IMHO anyway. I've been through a lot of mountain ranges across the US, and the Wichita's are my favorite.

Try to find the book "Outdoor and Trail Guide to the Wichita Mountains of Southwest Oklahoma" by Edward Charles Ellenbrook. It will give you insider information of old mine locations, hiking trails and other secrets.

I don't believe in re-incarnation, but there is a feeling I get whenever I'm in the Wichita Mts that I just cannot explain. It is an absolutely gorgeous place.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I kinda think so. I just can't explain it. Like I said, I don't believe in re-incarnation, but I kinda do believe in inherited memories. Even though there is no biological explanation for them either.

Enough of this spooky stuff, let's go get a 'burger.:igetit:

Latest posts

Top Bottom