So i got scope bit today......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai27.photobucket.com_albums_c189_driftmaster04_dayatthezooandpicnic058.jpg

notice the grooved collar between the magnification ring and the eye piece i adjusted it back to get more eye relief. the eye piece was sittin on the side of the collar closest to the mag. ring so i got that pretty much taken care of it seems.
That's for focusing the scope, not adjusting eye relief. The collar is the lock ring so the eye piece doesn't move after you focused it.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's for focusing the scope, not adjusting eye relief. The collar is the lock ring so the eye piece doesn't move after you focused it.

:hey3:Well i'm not sure then. when my head is resting on the stock and i adjust the eye piece i see the black circle come in and out around the outside of the crosshairs. i'll just have to get back out to the range with it but i still have a feeling a new scope will do more justice to the gun, along with getting the comb brought up some so i can get a proper cheek weld will more than likely eliminate any future probems.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:hey3:Well i'm not sure then. when my head is resting on the stock and i adjust the eye piece i see the black circle come in and out around the outside of the crosshairs. i'll just have to get back out to the range with it but i still have a feeling a new scope will do more justice to the gun, along with getting the comb brought up some so i can get a proper cheek weld will more than likely eliminate any future probems.

You should be able to see the target get sharper or lose focus. As each person's eyesight is different, the adjustment allows you to get it perfect for your eyes. I know this because me and my brother always sight in and check our dad's guns before hunting season and he's so blind we can hardly see through it without adjusting that. LOL!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another thing would be to get that left hand on the forearm of the rifle. With a light rifle and a large caliber you need more than just your shoulder controlling the recoil.

While there's definitely more than one way to skin a cat, I don't know that placing the weak hand onto the forearm of the rifle is necessarily going to do much in the way of recoil management on a .270 that your body's dead weight (if properly placed behind the rifle and properly dropped) isn't already going to do.

.270 isn't huge and while again, I totally respect the fact that there's several techniques out there for shooting in the prone, if you're shooting off of a bipod (and with a beanbag), to me, the best place for your weak-hand is squeezing the bean-bag.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While there's definitely more than one way to skin a cat, I don't know that placing the weak hand onto the forearm of the rifle is necessarily going to do much in the way of recoil management on a .270 that your body's dead weight (if properly placed behind the rifle and properly dropped) isn't already going to do.

.270 isn't huge and while again, I totally respect the fact that there's several techniques out there for shooting in the prone, if you're shooting off of a bipod (and with a beanbag), to me, the best place for your weak-hand is squeezing the bean-bag.

Holding your bean bag might be okay if you have a heavy barreled rifle.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holding your bean bag might be okay if you have a heavy barreled rifle.

I agree with EZ. The thing that controls the recoil is your shoulder and the mass behind it. Not the hand on the forearm. That would only help with muzzle rise, not recoil. You can shoot a 50 BMG without your hand on the forearm of the rifle.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with EZ. The thing that controls the recoil is your shoulder and the mass behind it. Not the hand on the forearm. That would only help with muzzle rise, not recoil. You can shoot a 50 BMG without your hand on the forearm of the rifle.

Thanks to a muzzle break.

Latest posts

Top Bottom