So i got scope bit today......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some issues to consider:

As mentioned earlier, eye relief matters.

Not all scopes are equal, and some scopes (especially the cheaper ones) were made to sell, not to be used.

Others seem intended for use with light recoil situations (like maybe for airguns?).

As you move to cartridges with more recoil (and as you get older) the eye relief must be carefully considered.

Stock design matters.

Standard length of pull on factory stocks seem intended for a teenager, or ????, all I know is they don't fit me.

AR stocks, especially collapsibles seem to need about 1" to 1-1/2" more length when fully extended.

If you had a good "cheekweld" on the stock, and held the rifle securely, why did your rifle move enough to bust you above the eye?

If it's not secure then it will move (something about the laws of physics).

If the scope was mounted for someone else, unless you have the same physical build, etc., it probably won't be right for you.

But, if you don't want to go to the trouble of changing/adjusting then just wear one of those rubber masks, like ice hockey goaltenders wear.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to have your scope mounted so that you have proper eye relief in the prone position while "turkey necking" all the way out, i.e. stretching you neck as far forward as it goes.

When you're getting kissed in the eye, it is because your head stays still while your shoulder gets pushed back. If your neck is stretched all the way forward, it can't go any more and your head moves with your shoulder when riding recoil.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for proving my point. That guy neither controlled the recoil of the gun or the rise of the muzzle.

He didn't get scope bit and the gun didn't jump off the table. Just admit you were wrong about the necessity of putting a hand on the forearm to control recoil. It doesn't control recoil. Period.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now you just showing your A$$.

No, I'm not. All the videos posted, including the one you posted, show that you don't need your hand on the forearm of the rifle to control recoil. That directly contradicts what you had previously said, yet when you try to say I proved you right and I, subsequently, point out that you were, in fact, proven wrong, you cop the 'tide and say "whatever".

Latest posts

Top Bottom