So, I got the okay on the neutered gunbuster signs. Legal help needed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think he's right; the sign may actually dissuade LEOs from entering your shop as there is no exception for police. And as it's a private establishment, you CAN decide that you do not allow LEOs into your shop unless they have a warrant (or probable cause), and this sign effectively does that.

The SDA makes exceptions for LEO's in almost every section of it. Most of the other OK laws that govern carry make exceptions for LEO's.

IMO the sign as worded does not prohibit LEO's on duty from entering the store. If open carry became legal it would probably prohibit LEO's not on duty from OC'ng on premises just as it would citizens.

No conflict here. These aren't the ones you're looking for. Move along...

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Obviously I'm being technical with this, but since the sign says NO FIREARMS except lawful concealed carry, it doesn't really matter whether any of the carry laws make an exception for cops... the sign purports to exclude ALL firearms except for those that are lawfully concealed. Therefore a cop who is open carrying in the store would be in violation of the sign, even if he is not in violation of the carry laws.

Now I don't think it would be read to exclude OC'ing cops... just like how cops pay no mind to those regular gunbuster signs, which would be read to exclude ALL firearms, however carried. Like I said, it is a pure technicality. But you wanted an opinion from a lawyer, so there it is!

Silveravnt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess it's a good thing we aren't in the donuts business. j/k

Here is the first one posted.
aimages107.fotki.com_v159_photos_3_82413_8819783_photo_vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Thank you everyone for your help. If anyone needs any of these my sign lady charged me $120 [edit: $1.20] per. I can also provide a pdf.

Last edited:

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess it's a good thing we aren't in the donuts business. j/k

Here is the first one posted.
aimages107.fotki.com_v159_photos_3_82413_8819783_photo_vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Thank you everyone for your help. If anyone needs any of these my sign lady charged me $120 per. I can also provide a pdf.

Off Topic: $120 per sign?

I'm in the wrong business. Wasted a lot of time going to college too it seems. $120 per sign?

Geeeeeeez!

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Obviously I'm being technical with this, but since the sign says NO FIREARMS except lawful concealed carry, it doesn't really matter whether any of the carry laws make an exception for cops... the sign purports to exclude ALL firearms except for those that are lawfully concealed. Therefore a cop who is open carrying in the store would be in violation of the sign, even if he is not in violation of the carry laws.

Now I don't think it would be read to exclude OC'ing cops... just like how cops pay no mind to those regular gunbuster signs, which would be read to exclude ALL firearms, however carried. Like I said, it is a pure technicality. But you wanted an opinion from a lawyer, so there it is!

As a lawyer (in training), that's what I read too. Owners of private property have the right to exclude anyone, more or less, but including police without a warrant. A sign that says "no firearms" technically applies to LEOs too, and there isn't anything they can legally do about it, as being an LEO is not a protected category (unlike race, sex, etc).

It's similar to signs that (legally) state: No shirt or shoes, no service. Such a sign wouldn't make an exception for an on-duty police officer that lost his shirt (although the owner probably would).

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, I neglected a decimal point. $1.20

After all the demands to know who my employer was I'm surprised nobody is outing us from the image I posted.

Still can't figure out what business this is. Dang it. Anyone have any guesses?

It's a trucking company or a freight terminal of some sort. Since I don't live in the area I couldn't tell you which.

Latest posts

Top Bottom