Solar is a scam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not buying that Solar is environmentally friendly either. You are trading one manner of pollution for another. Also when the sun hits the panels it creates heat, so if you are really trying to stop global warming why would you cover the earth with more dark surface area?

You need selenium to make the cells, it is very toxic...

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You sell back the electric for roughly 1/5th of what you have or buy it at.
That depends on your electricity supplier. OEC buys it back at the same rate they sell to you up to a limit (IIRC, if you’re generating over 125% of your monthly usage, then they start buying it back at the WFEC wholesale rate).

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the “idea” of a full solar system, but I’ve never seen any payout numbers that added up.
I think what has been talked about in the prepper section to use a small solar set up as a back up in case of power outages, but even that seems to get expensive quick.

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I installed 6, 100 watt panels and 4 marine batteries with controllers and inverter for under $1200. They run 2 freezers. Haven’t used for anything else, just wanted to protect my freezer investment in case of power out, but can be used to run other items. I do save a bit on electricity.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is what my buddy told me yesterday.
He got panels put on his house and battery storage and finally got it all sorted out after nearly 11 months dealing with the company that installed it.

He got his second bill after it was all working like it should and sent more power back to OG&E than he used.
His bill was $60
WTF over.
I have had smaller bills than that and I do not have solar.

He said it was all fees and taxes and no money towards usage.

HORRIBLE deal if you ask me.

The electric company most of us use will stick it to you deep, it is best to go off grid if you plan on using solar if you must deal with OG&E.

This thing cost him around 30K. Not a bargain.
I know someone who spent $90K on theirs, which I find insane. Odds are if it has to be .gov subsidized, it's ripe for scammers to profit.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t checked but years ago Missouri was a net zero state. By that I think the supplier would accept back whatever it was that your home required at their cost. Anything over that and it cost you a disposal fee. So lots of people up there had their own meter checking how much they were producing. When it got close to the end of the month they’d check and turn it off to balance out if needed.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Solar does have a place. Anywhere the grid exist is NOT the place.

The liquid in solar cells that convert the sunlight to electricity is extremely toxic and difficult to dispose of. I worked in the plant that made first Gen liquid, no selenium. Bad stuff, but better than the selenium.

There is considerable advancement needed to make solar viable.
Today is a huge NO, for me.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And can you imagine the skill of those laborers violating your new roofing job? Plus it would void any kind of roof warranty. As if they are worth anything to begin with. Nothing but carpet baggers scamming people.
But. Solar panels on a boat are a great idea.

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    1,000.1 KB

capnkirk462

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way back in the day. early 80's the state of New Mexico offered a tax incentive for solar. My grandfather got it, but it was to heat the water up so you would use less energy for your hot water heater. It worked really great for him, bet they don't offer that anymore. My hot water heater is the one appliance that runs everyday no matter what and it does suck down some electricity, I do have the thermostat turned down to use less.

Latest posts

Top Bottom