Sonic And Chili's Announce No-Gun Policies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This seems like a really stupid move on Sonic's part. Most of the stores are located in heavily pro gun areas. Most of there "restaurants" have no indoor seating. Most of their customers never get out of their vehicles. Heck, most of the time 100% of their customers are in their vehicles. It just seems like taking any position at all is going to offend more customers than they have dine in customers in a year.
If they felt the need to take some stance, they could have said no long guns which would allow the anti gun crowd to claim a win, and wouldn't offend most of the pro gun crowd.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This seems like a really stupid move on Sonic's part. Most of the stores are located in heavily pro gun areas. Most of there "restaurants" have no indoor seating. Most of their customers never get out of their vehicles. Heck, most of the time 100% of their customers are in their vehicles. It just seems like taking any position at all is going to offend more customers than they have dine in customers in a year.
If they felt the need to take some stance, they could have said no long guns which would allow the anti gun crowd to claim a win, and wouldn't offend most of the pro gun crowd.

I am just guessing, but I think they may be going for the headlines. While they are in pro-gun areas, they don't exactly rake the business in from what I see driving by. If I had to make a wild-ass guess, their thought process is "Let's lump ourselves in with restaurants with more mass appeal (the coordinated Chili's/Sonic press releases) and make a stance that while absolutely meaningless (differing to state laws for vehicle carry, at a vehicle only for all intensive purposes) will gather us lots of headlines, and with any luck anti-gun people will support our "stance" in droves". I would bet there will be no signs posted, they know the anti-gun community will see and herald this decision, and almost no one else will (if you didn't see it on here, do you think you would have ever seen it?).

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am just guessing, but I think they may be going for the headlines. While they are in pro-gun areas, they don't exactly rake the business in from what I see driving by. If I had to make a wild-ass guess, their thought process is "Let's lump ourselves in with restaurants with more mass appeal (the coordinated Chili's/Sonic press releases) and make a stance that while absolutely meaningless (differing to state laws for vehicle carry, at a vehicle only for all intensive purposes) will gather us lots of headlines, and with any luck anti-gun people will support our "stance" in droves". I would bet there will be no signs posted, they know the anti-gun community will see and herald this decision, and almost no one else will (if you didn't see it on here, do you think you would have ever seen it?).

It was on the ten o'clock news.

DFarcher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yep...totally moronic to announce a policy to fix a problem that does not exist and piss off a whole bunch of folks in the process.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was on the ten o'clock news.

People still watch that? :faint:
I stand corrected, though I still suspect my statement may stand true, albeit to a lesser percentage. It clearly is a calculated business decision, however. They were under no pressure to do this, unlike the other businesses. I would love to see it backfire though. The true test of business decision/true stance is whether they post conspicuous signs or not.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People still watch that? :faint:
I stand corrected, though I still suspect my statement may stand true, albeit to a lesser percentage. It clearly is a calculated business decision, however. They were under no pressure to do this, unlike the other businesses. I would love to see it backfire though. The true test of business decision/true stance is whether they post conspicuous signs or not.

I don't, but my wife does. Apparently they even built up to the story. My wife called me into the bedroom to ask about it before the story came on so I was in there to see it. And it was all about Sonic, I don't even think they mentioned Chilli's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom