Sonic And Chili's Announce No-Gun Policies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5419942

Chili’s and Sonic became the latest national chains to wade into the gun debate on Friday, announcing in apparently coordinated statements that firearms are no longer welcome in their restaurants.

In separate statements to The Huffington Post, the companies said that they were asking customers not to openly carry firearms in their eateries, following*a similar move by Chipotleearlier this month.

“We recognize that the open carry of firearms creates an uncomfortable atmosphere and is not permitted under many local liquor laws,” Ashley Johnson, a spokeswoman for Chili's' parent company, Brinker International, said in an email. “So, we kindly ask that guests refrain from openly carrying firearms into our restaurants and we will continue to follow state and local laws on this issue.”

A Sonic spokesman said the company will defer to local laws with respect to storing guns in vehicles, but said it will no longer permit firearms in its dining areas.

“We’re asking that customers refrain from bringing guns onto our patios or into our indoor dining areas,” said Patrick Lenow, Sonic's vice president of public relations.

He acknowledged that, before the company set the policy, he "spoke to a number of my peers at non-competing restaurant concepts" this week.

Johnson also suggested the statement was coordinated. "When issues like this happen, we always talk to others in the industry to get their perspective," she said

Both spokespeople said that the recent shooting in Isla Vista, California, did not affect the timing of their announcements.

Chili’s told HuffPost last week it was reviewing its policy, which had been to follow local laws, after a video surfaced of activists from the group Open Carry Texas bringing assault rifles and other heavy firearms into a San Antonio location. The protesters were asked to leave after upsetting other diners.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5419942

Chili’s and Sonic became the latest national chains to wade into the gun debate on Friday, announcing in apparently coordinated statements that firearms are no longer welcome in their restaurants.

In separate statements to The Huffington Post, the companies said that they were asking customers not to openly carry firearms in their eateries, following*a similar move by Chipotleearlier this month.

“We recognize that the open carry of firearms creates an uncomfortable atmosphere and is not permitted under many local liquor laws,” Ashley Johnson, a spokeswoman for Chili's' parent company, Brinker International, said in an email. “So, we kindly ask that guests refrain from openly carrying firearms into our restaurants and we will continue to follow state and local laws on this issue.”

A Sonic spokesman said the company will defer to local laws with respect to storing guns in vehicles, but said it will no longer permit firearms in its dining areas.

“We’re asking that customers refrain from bringing guns onto our patios or into our indoor dining areas,” said Patrick Lenow, Sonic's vice president of public relations.

He acknowledged that, before the company set the policy, he "spoke to a number of my peers at non-competing restaurant concepts" this week.

Johnson also suggested the statement was coordinated. "When issues like this happen, we always talk to others in the industry to get their perspective," she said

Both spokespeople said that the recent shooting in Isla Vista, California, did not affect the timing of their announcements.

Chili’s told HuffPost last week it was reviewing its policy, which had been to follow local laws, after a video surfaced of activists from the group Open Carry Texas bringing assault rifles and other heavy firearms into a San Antonio location. The protesters were asked to leave after upsetting other diners.

Chili's position I don't hate, they simply ask for no open carry. Sonic's position, that's just funny. No guns on their patios? LOL It's like they want so badly to be a "real" restaurant and be relevant. Fortunately, Sonic food is greasy and over-priced, and service is awful every time I go there. I do/did like their drinks though. But... QT has some good alternatives. No loss really.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
No loss here. Two places that never get any of my money anyway.

I agree, Sonic as a restaurant is a joke, but then again, so is Chili's.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never seen anyone actually sit at Sonics patio anyway, on the rare occasion I go there it's through the drive thru or drive up where I can be armed with a .50 Barrett if I wanted.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I honestly think that Texas Open Carry group is doing more harm then good. Who really wants to carry a rifle into a restaurant?
Bunch of dumb asses.

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know I would feel safer if I could bring this bad boy into a Chili's.

www.thegunzone.com_people_images_lahti.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom