Sonic cleaners?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My tumbler died and I am looking at replacements. While doing so I was also looking at sonic cleaners but know nothing about them. Does anyone have any experience with them? Do they work well or do you still need a tumbler?

Thanks for any info.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one but use it for a little different reason. I use a carbide sizing die for my pistol brass which requires the cases to be clean to prevent damaging the die. After tumbling the brass I use the ultrasonic cleaner to remove the dust from the cases instead of having to wipe each case down with a wet cloth. A side benefit is that the cases, inside and out, and the primer pocket are very clean after the ultrasonic. I haven't tried just skipping the tumbler and going straight to the ultrasonic cleaner but I suspect it would work well. This link has some good information:

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

DRSNINER

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just happened to be at Gene Sears one afternoon and the guys at 3rdgss were giving the RCBS unit a tryout to say that the impression it made on them was,well heck it just didn't work very good. Tumbleing ,why it may be noisy,dusty,and need a little more hands on time, it's still the best.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just happened to be at Gene Sears one afternoon and the guys at 3rdgss were giving the RCBS unit a tryout to say that the impression it made on them was,well heck it just didn't work very good. Tumbleing ,why it may be noisy,dusty,and need a little more hands on time, it's still the best.

I didn't know RCBS made an ultrasonic unit. Are you sure they were not just trying to "wash" the brass in an RCBS Sidewinder Tumbler? An ultrasonic unit would be similar to the below item:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=992327

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a thread similar to this not long ago.
DustinGuander was looking for an ultrsonic.
He was demonstrated a rotary tumbler by jeffsoward && was sold on the benfits.
Anyway, before you buy an ultrasonic, check out the rotaries, they're quiet, super fast & do a great job.

link to thread

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. I wouldn't trade my rotary for anything. Dustin really seemed to like it.
the brass gets nice and pretty and super clean. No dust to deal with, no media replacement, and really fast to boot.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info folks. I am going to go with a Lyman Turbo 2500 Pro Magnum for now. I may add a sonic or rotary at a later date. I am on a budget at the moment and the Lyman is a good deal.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info folks. I am going to go with a Lyman Turbo 2500 Pro Magnum for now. I may add a sonic or rotary at a later date. I am on a budget at the moment and the Lyman is a good deal.

Go with the Sonic. From what I have seen they perform up to the same expectations as a rotary. The bad thing about rotaries is you have to get a good one, otherwise they are crap (well, that goes for vibratory too).

In all honesty, unless its just a "cool" factor or your OCD, I dont see the point in having brass that "clean". 85% of my reloading is on a progressive, needing super clean brass for a progressive (unless as mentioned above, you need dust free cases to protect sensative dies) is moot.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well during the night I had decided on the Lyman but I was more then a little surprised when I got up to find a package from Midway sitting on my porch. The wife went and ordered me a Lyman Turbo 2500 Pro Magnum a couple of days ago without telling me. Guess she knows what I want before I do. :D

Anyway I set it up and so far all I can say is WOW!! Half as loud as my old Franklin and seems to be moving the media and brass about 4 times as fast if not more.

Years ago I had an old rotary and this thing seems to be giving as much cleaning action. I threw in some 40S&W cases along with a couple of grungy 30.06 range pickups at 3:30. I will check them after 2 hours to see how they look. My gut says they will be clean or very close to it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom