Sons of Guns episode featuring "1,000 yd accurate AK-47

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did anyone see this episode last week on History channel? Will Hayden and his gunsmiths at Red Jacket Firearms in Louisiana built a long heavy barrel, improved lock time triggered AK that they had an ex-US army sniper fire at 100- 1,000 yds. No mention at all about the ammunition used. Really? 7.62X39MM, 2,400 FPS, 123 gr. fired out to 1,000 yards. I've seen match reloads keyhole, tumbling at 600 yds, when loaded a bit too light on the powder charge, striving for better accuracy, repeatability. Can any long range shooter out there tell me how a 7.62 comblock round that I've found to be quite erratic past 300 meters, could be fired accurately on a man sized silhouette at 1,000 yards?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He used a Kreiger barrel too, that's gonna make a bit of a difference. The old .45/70 will go 1000 yards in a good barrel and load for it. I see no reason the 7.62x39 couldn't do it. It's just that the normal AK barrel and ammo ain't usually gonna get that job done.

Edit to add: I meant with good handloads with premium bullets too. Seriously doubt they used Russian mil-surp to do that, but if the twist was right for the bullet weight and velocity it could be done.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watched the show for the first time - Arisaka was very nice (midway has ammo in stock BTW) - everything else in it just made my brain cells die :( Looks like bubba's home garage - not a gunsmithing shop.

Latest posts

Top Bottom