Soon be squirrel season...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

possum skinner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Squirrel season will begin May 15th. Can't wait to get out there and chase some bushy tails around in the woods. Just a good way to spend time with family. Probably go with the boys and grandsons. Aside from the fun in the woods, squirrel, taters and gravy are one of my favorites.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bigcountry, Shooting squirrels with a bow is a blast. Take plenty of arrows and I would suggest using bludgen tips if you can. I went with field points and the little wire judo tips and lost at 12 bucks an arrow I figure I spent a hundred bucks! The black rubber tips look pretty cumbersome but they work like a charm and stop in a hurry.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love squirrel hunting, but I hate the ticks in the spring and summer. I'll still probably go at least once this spring.

Find a clothing treatment with permethrin in it. Works great, not just repels, but will actualy kill ticks that come into contact with your clothes. Just make sure you follow the directions. I've used it the past several years during early deer archery season and it dramaticly reduce the number of ticks I've found.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bigcountry, Shooting squirrels with a bow is a blast. Take plenty of arrows and I would suggest using bludgen tips if you can. I went with field points and the little wire judo tips and lost at 12 bucks an arrow I figure I spent a hundred bucks! The black rubber tips look pretty cumbersome but they work like a charm and stop in a hurry.

Yeah, I'm gathering all the bent arrows I can straighten and getting all the junk arrows out to see if I can get any to shoot decent. If I can get together enough wood arrows, I may just use an old trick my dad use to do and use a 38Spl case for a blunt tip.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking about going for the first time in years. I plan on hunting them with stick and string. They say it helps with target panic.

If it helps, let me know. I've had target panic since 2000, and it's so bad I just stopped all together.

Yeah, it sucks when the arrow sticks into the tree 20 feet up. :(

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it helps, let me know. I've had target panic since 2000, and it's so bad I just stopped all together.

I know this is off topic, but the best thing I've found so far is to practice without ever shooting. Draw, hit anchor, line up and pick a spot then let down. Some people have to do this for weeks before they can even shoot again. I pay attention and as soon as I get the slightest bit of target panic. I stop shotting and start just drawing for the rest of the session.

There's alot of good info out there on it. I'll let you know how it goes.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i used to go 4/5 times per year. i like it. but most of the places i went now have housing additions on them or new houses clse by, so i need a new place to hunt close to tulsa.

usually hunted with a shotgun to be safe.

fun to get out early in the morning and have some quiet time in the woods.

Latest posts

Top Bottom