Sourdough Starter, Bread and Biscuits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good thread BB.

Can you skip the yeast in the second part of your recipe? Would you end up with sourdough flatbread or something?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good thread BB.

Can you skip the yeast in the second part of your recipe? Would you end up with sourdough flatbread or something?

You know, I'm not sure. If it weren't for the egg in it I'd say you should only have to increase the rise time, but I'm not comfortable saying you should let something with raw egg in it set for 12-18 hours.

I have another recipe that you don't use extra yeast in. Let me find it and I'll post it for you ...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure how that is possible. LOL

You'd be surprised how often he turns down my home cooking ... I used to take it personal -- thought I was a bad cook. It's not true though -- he's just an insanely picky eater ... :nolike:

I keep telling him that I can hardly wait until the SHTF so he will HAVE to eat what I cook! ;)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK guys ... Here's the sourdough biscuit recipe I promised ...

2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sourdough starter (thinner is better here)
1 1/2 tbls sugar
1 tbls baking powder
2 tbls cold shortening
Melted butter to brush on top of biscuits

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In large bowl stir flour, salt, sugar and baking powder together. Add starter and mix until a soft dough forms. Cut in cold shortening with a fork. DO NOT OVERMIX. Pinch off golf ball to tennis ball size pieces, roll in palm until round (not too much -- just enough to get it shaped quickly), dip one side in melted butter and place, buttered size up in lightly buttered cast iron skillet. Continue until skillet is full. You can kinda mush them together in the skillet if you need to.

Set skillet in warm spot for 15 minutes or so, until biscuits start to rise.

Bake for about 40 minutes or so, until golden brown on top. Serve immediately.

You can split this recipe in half if you are like GC and me and don't have that many folks to cook for. These are also good the next day with sausage or ham for a breakfast sandwich kinda deal.

These biscuits can also be placed in a dutch oven and baked on a fire pit. However, I'd start checking them about 25 or 30 minutes in, just in case ...

Next up ... sourdough pancakes ... Just for Lurker66 :)

I also found another recipe for the starter that seems a bit easier. I'm testing it now. If it works I'll post it up too, because you can't have too many ways to make sourdough ... IMHO, of course ... :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom