Speaking of stupid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes- I was a butcher for a dozen years and still cut up a lot of meat for myself today. Worse problem I had when I was young- we still had to cut up chickens and would even have contest to see who was the fastest. One time I had a cut on my thumb knuckle that had just healed up and I cut the same spot again. Man that thing was sore for a month.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got done field dressing and processing 4 deer. Got nicked a few times usually with sharp tip poke while removing tendon and prepping to grind or make jerky. Got one finger slice cut while boning out the buck I shot.
10yr old Grandson sliced open his thigh with his Swiss Army knife I had just sharpened last summer when he dropped it on his bare leg while whittling a stick for hot dogs. Had to go to urgent care for stitches and that process freaked him out way worse than cutting himself.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The worst part of the cutting of yourself is you were in the middle of a project and now must stop.
I care less about the cut I just want to finish what I was doing.

Splatted my thumb with a hammer chiseling upper ball joint rivets out years ago.
My oldest son was sitting on the ground beside me and said aren't you going to go fix or clean that as it blew it apart good and blood running down my arm.

I told him NOPE! I am almost done and the blood needs to flow to clean the wound.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read a story the other day about novice chefs and experienced chefs. When a knife is accidentally dropped, the inexperienced chef will try and catch it and often suffer a bad cut while an experienced chef will allow it to fall to the floor and then retrieve it. A sharp knife can ruin you if handled improperly, I like a sharp knife because less pressure is needed to cut through a piece of beef and the work is completed more quickly than with a dull knife.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yes, I have done a lot of stupid stuff. A lot of those I caught myself before doing it but those times usually came from bad experiences where I didn't. Like @swampratt, I was hammering out a bolt that had broken on the front end of the tractor.

I was hammering upward with both hands and the freshly worked dirt under me shifted causing me to miss. About twenty minutes later I wake up to a splitting headache with blood everywhere. You all know how a scalp wound bleeds.

Since the tractor was broke down, I had to walk the two and half miles home. Of course no one is home so I walked to the neighbors and scared the hell out of his wife and kids. I'm drenched in fresh and dried blood and dirt from working on the tractor.

The last time I caught myself one second before what I was thinking might happen, happened. I was climbing up a ladder a fellow had just climbed down. It was propped against a landing 10 feet up and there was no wall, just the landing. I reached the landing at eye level and saw the ladder shift down an inch. I said , "Self, you had better climb back down very caref WHAM!"

Three years and several surgeries later, I was back to work.

I could have posedt pictures but thought better about it.

Last edited:

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The worst part of the cutting of yourself is you were in the middle of a project and now must stop.
I care less about the cut I just want to finish what I was doing.

Splatted my thumb with a hammer chiseling upper ball joint rivets out years ago.
My oldest son was sitting on the ground beside me and said aren't you going to go fix or clean that as it blew it apart good and blood running down my arm.

I told him NOPE! I am almost done and the blood needs to flow to clean the wound.
splatted my thumb many times hanging off rebar building forms sucks

Latest posts

Top Bottom