Speaking of stupid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So many but two incidents come to mind.

Sharpening a knife on a paper wheel mounted on a grinder (like the ones at the gun shows) wasn't paying attention for a split second and angled the blade into the oncoming wheel it caught and stuck the knife 3 1/4" in my gut......pulled the knife out and drove myself to the ER and they got me fixed up.

Was painting outside missed the last last rung coming down on a ladder in 2018 and fell hard on the back of my head and ended up with a concussion, for months afterwards when laying on my left side I would get real sick to my stomach, be dizzy, have vertigo and my eyeballs would actually jerk and twitch in their sockets.......took over two years to get pretty much back to normal, doing the the Epley Maneuver at home helped.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, with taking Atorvastatin and baby aspirin, I can bleed fairly easily, so it is never really a surprise if I look down and see myself bleeding somewhere. However, it isn't generally caused by a knife.

I even did it today while trimming off some branches growing out near the bottom of a tree trunk. Since we live in and RV with little storage space, I don't always have the proper tools for such jobs. In today's case, I was doing the small branches with a 3-foot bow saw.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ya, I was cutting 5 zip-ties and each time I thought, I better be careful, maybe I ought to geta pair of side-cutters. Well, I made it through four and sure enough the last one got me. It could have probably warranted two stiches in the deepest part, but a good tight band-aid is for the most part keeping it from leaking too badly. Just stupid.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I edge into my late 60's- I try my darndest to not hurt myself- takes too long to heal and not hurt. But I have done some dumb stuff in my life- one time when about 20- I was trying to break a garage cabinet off the wall in my garage- hitting up with a hammer on a ladder I somehow hit myself in the head- man that hurt for a while.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I edge into my late 60's- I try my darndest to not hurt myself- takes too long to heal and not hurt. But I have done some dumb stuff in my life- one time when about 20- I was trying to break a garage cabinet off the wall in my garage- hitting up with a hammer on a ladder I somehow hit myself in the head- man that hurt for a while.
Ain't it amazing mankind can hit downward or sideways with a hammer but not upward?

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I must admit there were many a times when I was younger that I had that moment of edification, in which the event that followed was 1. going to hurt, and 2. there wasn't a damned thing I could do about it.😲🤬🤪.

When the wife and I were dating she quickly found out why there was a roll of duct tape, paper towels, super glue, and hydrogen peroxide in a plastic box behind the truck seat. 🚑

cmc tom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya, I was cutting 5 zip-ties and each time I thought, I better be careful, maybe I ought to geta pair of side-cutters. Well, I made it through four and sure enough the last one got me. It could have probably warranted two stiches in the deepest part, but a good tight band-aid is for the most part keeping it from leaking too badly. Just stupid.
Was working on the bow thruster diesel engine in a VA shipyard, early 80s. Was cutting a zip tie also. Distinctly thought I should be cutting away from my body, too late. Drove my knife 4" into my left thigh. Limped to midship and up 4 decks, then across the shipyard to medical. Ahhh, to be twenties and invincible again. Scar is still visible as a reminder.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know cmc, they they'd put warning labels on each zip tie, that wouldn't have happened to us - I think I am starting to feel like a million bucks - how about you?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, with taking Atorvastatin and baby aspirin, I can bleed fairly easily, so it is never really a surprise if I look down and see myself bleeding somewhere. However, it isn't generally caused by a knife.

I even did it today while trimming off some branches growing out near the bottom of a tree trunk. Since we live in and RV with little storage space, I don't always have the proper tools for such jobs. In today's case, I was doing the small branches with a 3-foot bow saw.

My daughter is usually the one that spots my bleeding. I have no idea where I am bleeding, how or when it happened.

She was around 6 yo, I had been trimming some trees. A limb had scraped across my forearm. I walked into the kitchen, blood running down my arm. Daughter asks, "Daddy, you're bleeding, what happened?"

"I was cutting trees and checked to see if the saw was sharp."

Her jaw drops, she turns to mom, shaking her head, "Mom, sometimes Daddy isn't very smart."
Wife is unloading dishwasher and drops butcher knife on her foot. Luckily, I had not sharpened it and she was wearing boots.

Latest posts

Top Bottom