Spilled powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know of a number of individuals whose spouse banged (literally) a live primer in the vacuum; yep, doghouse for them!.

Years ago an ex sister in law picked up a .22 rd that her kids dropped in the carpet. It went off inside the vaccum chamber and scared the bejesus out of her.

Blew a hole the size of a golfball in the chamber. I patched it up with JB weld and she used it for years after.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pantyhose stretched over the hose of a shop vac.

First off, That ^^ is freaking genius! Or, I am slow and easily impressed but I think it is the former.

Second, I reload shotshells inside and had a couple spills and lead shot in a vac. is like hitting a penny about 300 times in a row. I went to a restaurant supply house and got a big baking sheet, the kind with the lip rolled over and mounted my reloader to that with a quarter inch piece of plywood on the underside. It catches everything unless you really mess up and is solid enough with the wood to give you leverage without being permenantly mounted.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago an ex sister in law picked up a .22 rd that her kids dropped in the carpet. It went off inside the vaccum chamber and scared the bejesus out of her.

Blew a hole the size of a golfball in the chamber. I patched it up with JB weld and she used it for years after.

i can think of a few times where my grandma picked up a .22 round with the vac and it didnt do anything

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spilled about 1/2lb of cannon powder on the floor and I scooped most of it up with my hands. then used one of those animal hair tape rollers then just vacuumed it up with the dyson. the only explosion in the house that day was the wife's attitude if you guys ever buy your wife a dyson just don't use it apparently men are not capable of using it correctly.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a little confused, all vacuum cleaners have a filter and the trash that is being picked up does not get near the motor or fan so it should be safe to use for a powder spill or primers, I know that I have been using one in my shop for 25 or 30 years without a problem.

The primers are the only thing that really scare me.
Step on it or something and it could go off.

bfoster

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've used an aspirator to clean up spilled powder without problems for fourty years.

This aspirator creates suction by running shop air across an orifice.
The powder is caught in a trap/bottle that's located between the pickup and the orifice.

Bob

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.

A couple of years ago my wife picked up a live 12 gauge shell in her vacuum.
It didn't go off but it did jamb up the beaters requireing a complete tear down to get it out.
No I don't know how it got on the floor nor can I wrap my head around her not being able to see it before she sucked it up in the vacuum.

As far as spilled powder, A while back I had just filled the rtank on my pwoder measure and decided I needed something off the top sehl of my bench, I reached across the measure and knocked the resevoir off the measure. Oops.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of years ago my wife picked up a live 12 gauge shell in her vacuum.
It didn't go off but it did jamb up the beaters requireing a complete tear down to get it out.
No I don't know how it got on the floor nor can I wrap my head around her not being able to see it before she sucked it up in the vacuum.
It must be a genetic thing. I've never been able to convince mine that vacuum cleaners are not designed to pick up bricks, rocks and such. :screwy:

Latest posts

Top Bottom