Spray Foam insulation.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can the roof support the foam without some sort of wire, etc to help it? I'm getting ready to add a loafing shed roof to our 30X40, and I'm sold on the spray on insulation.
I wish it had been around when getting the building erected. It's well insulated with fiberglass, but nothing like what foam could have done.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can the roof support the foam without some sort of wire, etc to help it? I'm getting ready to add a loafing shed roof to our 30X40, and I'm sold on the spray on insulation.
I wish it had been around when getting the building erected. It's well insulated with fiberglass, but nothing like what foam could have done.
Generally yeah you’ll be fine. Is it weld up or wood frame? 2ft centers if it’s wood?

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The entire roof is sprayed inside. It is 22x80 and has been on there for 5 years. This new “stuff” is not like that old **** that would fall off. Years ago we had an150x500 indoor Roping Arena done and had to end up putting chicken wire on the entire ceiling, it was ****. This new stuff adheres itself so hard.

Only glitch on the new stuff is it cannot be left unpainted to direct Sun light.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it true that spray foam voids the metal warranty? Only beef I have with it is it would add many thousands to the job of replacing the roof some day.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it true that spray foam voids the metal warranty? Only beef I have with it is it would add many thousands to the job of replacing the roof some day.

He stated some Mfg’s claim the will void. The young man sprays every building they build. His dad has built them for over 35 years and when the foam came out they started using it instead of the thin vinyl back rolls. So apparently the Metal Mfg’s local does not void. They buy most of their metal from Indaco Metal in Shawnee.

This shop I just had done was built in 1982 and has lived through many many hail storms and has a few dings. 26g R Panel. I don’t know why it would ever need replaced. The paint is getting thin, but it will outlast me.

When I had them spray the inside 5-6 years ago, I asked about how to replace. They simply unscrew it and cut it between ceiling joists and it comes off. On homes they spray the wood decking underneath and shingle or metal on top is not affected by the foam.

26 gauge R Panel is tough, R Panel with closed cell foam is even tougher!

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The metal is warranted for 50 years. Some (heavier gauge) is 75 years.

I won't have to worry about mine.

My RV cover, Dad had installed in '91, but a shorter contractor. Idiot didn't have a clue about construction. The pipe he used was good, but moron didn't cover ends, so they have rusted at ground level. The sheet metal is still solid, though the paint has faded some.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The entire roof is sprayed inside. It is 22x80 and has been on there for 5 years. This new “stuff” is not like that old **** that would fall off. Years ago we had an150x500 indoor Roping Arena done and had to end up putting chicken wire on the entire ceiling, it was ****. This new stuff adheres itself so hard.

Only glitch on the new stuff is it cannot be left unpainted to direct Sun light.
Good to hear. I had it in my mind that it couldn’t support itself as the only experience I’ve had was with that old stuff that fell from roofs and was an eyesore.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of paint? Epoxy? Water based? Oil based? I also hear they have an additive they can make the foam distasteful to rodents. Did you discuss this? Only ones I have seen are in the cans.
1724290733282.png

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of paint? Epoxy? Water based? Oil based? I also hear they have an additive they can make the foam distasteful to rodents. Did you discuss this? Only ones I have seen are in the cans.
View attachment 504441

I used oil based. Never an issue on rodents eating spray foam in 7 different buildings I have used it in and owned.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom