Spring Turkey 2012

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has taken me a few days to post, but figured I might post this story for you guys. Much more to tell about this hunting trip, but I tried to keep it brief for reading purposes.

This last weekend I went down to Okemah to hunt with a buddy and ran into a CRAZY landowner. Bird hunting was slow and windy on Friday, but it finally laid down that evening and just at dusk I got 2 toms calling like crazy coming to my calls. They were on the adjacent landowners property and but headed my way fast. They had to cross a small county road to do so. I could not see the road because I was on the other side of a tree line. About the time they got to the road, only about 80-100yds from my position I heard BOOM BOOM and then total silence. Had my birds been road jacked? I knew the other landowner did not hunt or allow hunting, so it couldn't be him. Well I crossed the trees, and walked to the fencelince. After a few minutes I see the landowner walking down the road toward me. I knew this would be an interesting conversation as I was told he is a complete a$$. Unfortunately this proved to be more than true. He was carry an 870 and walked up to me and in a disgruntled voice asked what I was doing. I tried to be polite but found out this guy was a raging idiot quite quickly. He informed that he was "watching over his yard birds". Those birds were "his" and as soon as he heard them gobbling he came running down from his house and fired at them in the middle of the road to scare them back on to his property.

Fastfoward to the next morning. The birds he scared ended up roosting literally just across the road on the neighbors, but my buddy and I knew hunting them would be futile. Sure enough he came out and "patrolled" the road all morning. Walking up and down it. With that my buddy called the game warden. Warden said he would pay the landowner a visit sometime that week. Unfortunately that did us no good as we only had the weekend. So hearing very little other activity in the area we gave up and headed to my place in Stillwater.

Saturday afternoon we heard birds, but didn't get any to play. We had until about mid-morning Sunday before we had to go. Sunday morning found us only about 300 yds away from a roosting gobbler, but he and his hens had a different idea and walked the other way. At about 8 am we checked one more spot before calling it quits. Within 30 minutes we killed this jake and while he was coming in we had another bird on the line. My buddy shot him, I grabbed him and continued to call. 15 minutes later my buddy puts the tom on the ground. 2 seperate birds 15 minutes apart. They came in the exact same way. These are my buddies first OK birds, he came up from TX to hunt. Didn't think it was gonna happen for him, but man did it end with a bang!

www.hunt101.com_data_500_medium_derekturks.jpg

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
opening day in the SE region. Short version. Got on birds while roosted, so did other hunters, they shot. while were set up a bird is on the ground coming a long ways off, then another. we get up to close distance on one of them. jake is gobbling within 100 yards whole time and starts going to gobbler we want to go to. the jake would gobble and sound like a jake then would sound more like a two year old I told my buddy that i wasnt sure if there was one bird or two. meanwhile ol thumper is still comin on another ridge. I decided we needed to call the jake in since we were like 60 yards from him and run him off to keep him away from the gobbler. we closed in about 50 yards from the jake and soft yelped him in, we were just standing up next to a tree waiting to run him off when he strutted over the hump with 10.5" rope and 3/4" spurs. the gobbler we were wanting was still gobbling his head off while i was taggin my bird then he naturally shut up and we couldnt get back on him, until next morning and he got boogered by other hunters. the end

Attachments

• gobb2.jpg
    gobb2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 150

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drove 4 hours, slept 2 ... Setup the decoy and lay down - cows show up VERY interested in decoy. I shooed them away and laid back down. Called - nothing. Wait 20 min. Call again - I thought I heard a hen reply, so I waited. Sure enough, 2 hens and this tom show up - shot him from 10 yards laying in the grass! :)
i49.tinypic.com_2zi0xe1.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats MoBoost!

This bird was very vocal, very cooperative, and very very close. About 8 yards close. Should have had my bow with me.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_photobucket_2196_1335660490079.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom