Spring Turkey 2012

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim7711

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats to everybody. Ef'sdad - Great picture. Always like to see those kids in the field.

I was able to kill one this morning. This is my third attempt at killing this bird. He and two other gobblers have been henned up and non responsive to my calling, but they have been pretty predictable for the first 30 minutes off the roost. They fly down, gather up and head north across my fence and on to the neighbors property, then the hunt is usually done. My first two times to try to head them off before they got across the fence were not successful. Both times they flew down just out of range and then got around me and off the property.

This morning I was set up on them by 5:45am. I set up where their previous two routes going north crossed. They flew down gathered up and strutted around a little, then headed my way. A jake and a hen made it past me without spotting me and then this guy popped out from behind some tall brush at about 30 yards. I never made a call.

10" beard. about 1" spurs and I didnt weigh him.

i1137.photobucket.com_albums_n511_48down_JimTurkey2012.jpg

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
took a buddy of mine this morning after his first OK Eastern bird. Setup was out of a double bull with a full strut decoy and hen. Had three jakes roosted on one side and a gobbler on the other. jakes went to gobbler ran right through our set. we watched the jakes fight the gobbler about 300 yards away and he held his own. when the fight was over the gobbler came right in. at 200+ yards I could see his hooks with the binos. has 1 1/4" hooks and a 10" beard.

Attachments

• limb2.jpg
    limb2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 175

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What did you do Jared, nail his spurs into the tree to take a picture? hehe

Okie, good footage! I keep waiting for the lidcam footage though! I won't even laugh at your one handed slate calls, they worked!

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2012-04-06%2020.16.51[1].jpg

Called these two birds in on the opener evening. I killed the one on the right and he killed the one on the left. After seven holes to our tom decoy!

Right bird- 9 1/2" and 6 1/4" with a 1 3/8" hook and a 1 3/4" hook (My biggest ever on the spurrs)
Left bird- 10" and 8" with 1 1/4" spurrs

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
View attachment 20472

Called these two birds in on the opener evening. I killed the one on the right and he killed the one on the left. After seven holes to our tom decoy!

Right bird- 9 1/2" and 6 1/4" with a 1 3/8" hook and a 1 3/4" hook (My biggest ever on the spurrs)
Left bird- 10" and 8" with 1 1/4" spurrs

Congrats!! I'm not sure which I'm liking better, the double double beards, or the camo double cynergy:)

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
okie45700- Thanks, I love that gun. Thats its first turkey blood. I mainly bought it for goose hunting. Because I am lazy and picking up empties is a pain, but after shooting it a bit, I absolutly love the way it feels and points.

Latest posts

Top Bottom