Spring Turkey 2012

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats very cool EFsDad, he looks pretty stoked in that picture, and I am sure he will have lots of great memories of the trip. I have a son that just turned 5, he goes fishing with me and loves to go to the farm, but I can't get him to stop talking long enough to try and hunt anything with him yet. I haven't been out turkey hunting yet although both farms I hunt have quite a few turkeys, hopefully this weekend. Congrats to everyone that has filled a turkey tag and good luck to those going.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well this guy is just a jake, but probably one of my more memorable turkeys to date as their is a story that goes with it. My parents have been seeing some turkeys down the street from their "neighborhood". They live outside of town, not in the city limits, but in a little subdivision none the less with about 3-5 acre lots. The birds like to strut down on a corner lot near the "main intersection". We know the neighbors really well and I secured permission to hunt in his front yard, which put me only about 1/4 mile away from the birds. The first day I had two gobblers working to me perfectly and I thought it was gonna happen until another neighbor let his dogs out and that was the end of that. So that evening I discovered the birds were roosting right across the street on an undeveloped quarter section. Tracked down the owner and got shot down as he allows no hunting. So back to plan A. Mid-morning the next day this guy started calling and talked to me for about 45 minutes before crossing the road and committing to come in. As soon as he crossed the property line I let him have it. I could only stand their and laugh as I had just called a turkey into my neighbors front yard and harvested it. Thats one nice thing about spring turkey hunting. If you can just get permission NEAR the birds you can call them over if you are patient enough.

www.hunt101.com_data_500_turkeyok.jpg

goosedestroyer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha Okie, those are shells from skeet shooting last weekend. There were a few other hunters out there, but with 50 something different units all around the county you can easily find a unit to have to yourself. There were a ton of birds. We saw an enormous amount of hens which will be awesome for next years hatch.

Dang! I should have went there instead of Seiling. I was expecting that there will be a lot of hunters out there. Last year there were like five hundred hunters mostly were out of state hunters (Texas, Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri) on opening day of Turkey season and it was like on Thursday. Looks like you guys had a blast and that is a nice Tom!

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice hunts EF's Dad and Bernard! Thanks for sharing them. You know my brother lives a lot or two over from your parents Elkstlkr. He had been calling at those birds too without luck. Glad you sacked one up.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats very cool EFsDad, he looks pretty stoked in that picture, and I am sure he will have lots of great memories of the trip. I have a son that just turned 5, he goes fishing with me and loves to go to the farm, but I can't get him to stop talking long enough to try and hunt anything with him yet. I haven't been out turkey hunting yet although both farms I hunt have quite a few turkeys, hopefully this weekend. Congrats to everyone that has filled a turkey tag and good luck to those going.

Thanks everyone.

Sticky, I can't tell you how many times I whispered "Whisper!" I really wasn't expecting to get a bird on that hunt. I really just wanted to get him out and have a good time. He was very upset when I told him he couldn't shoot the turkeys and he was more interested in bugs that he saw along the way.

I was ecstatic that I bagged a bird and EF was even more. My dad gave me a photo of me and my brother when I was 6 with us both of us holding a snow goose (back when they were rarer) and he wrote a little note on the back. It never really set in exactly what it meant to him until now.

Congrats to everyone that gets a bird, get's someone new out in the field, or just getting into the field!

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Got this guy tonight.. 21 pounds 1-1/4" spurs, 8-1/2" beard that had beard rot...

i265.photobucket.com_albums_ii240_brian8903_20120410_180139.jpg

i265.photobucket.com_albums_ii240_brian8903_20120410_180603.jpg

I had been seeing these turkeys this past week 1/2 a mile away from where i can hunt .. I hit the spot after work after i didnt see them in thier usual spot.. I had cows grazing right where i wanted to be..i stopped to look around where i wanted to set up and I just happend to see a tom strutting about 75 yrds away.. They didnt see me luckily.. I set down in the fence row and pulled out my trusty old turkey fan... I called and got them gobbling all over each other and then i shut up completely.. it took them a little bit but they couldnt stand me playing hard to get.. As soon as i seen them i showed em the fan, they came at a dead run to 15 yards and i dropped the fan and let the long beard eat some #4s.. All this lasted about 45 minutes.. if you got a henned up tom flash him a fan and get ready..

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
took my boy out sat evening called but get the two gobbelrs in the group to about 50 yds a little to far,so next morning we set up about 100 yds from where they where roosting,had a gobbler and a hen decoy,when they flew down the gobblers strut and hens milled around,i gave a light yelp to get their so they would look our way when the seen the gobbler decoy they came on a the run at ten yds it happen so fast my son did'nt aim,he shot and hit the ground all i could do was laugh,but it was cool to see how well the new gobbler decoy workk,congrats to everyone got a bird

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Had a fun hunt this evening. Had four jakes working for about 20min, they finally decided to come check us out, but came around from the side. We were pinned down in tall grass in an old cattle pen. They were only standing about 10-15y from us gobbling, while a longbeard came in from out of nowhere, and neither of us could get a shot. The jakes walked off, we sit for a while longer and decided to start working our way back to the truck, we looked down the two track and here comes a hen with our four jakes in pursuit. We hit the ground, the hen see us and scales the hill that you see in the video like a goat. The jakes are puzzled, I got my phone ready to record with the left hand, put my slate call on the ground by my right hand, we were both laying on our stomachs at this point, gave them a few terrible sounding one handed slate call clucks, they see the decoy that my friend had just sit between us in the grass, and the rest is history.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_1334362414086.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom