Spring Turkey 2012

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, they were quiet this morning! Damn clouds and misty rain! I was out from 6:30 til 11 and hit 3 different spots. On the 3rd spot, I finally heard a few gobble so I made a jog to get closer. Got setup and let out a few yelps and they were headed towards me. They stopped at 70yds and would no come any closer...group of 3 toms. Even though I couldn't get a shot off, I enjoyed watching them and hearing them when they would gobble. That'll sure get the heart pumping! Not a bad first day for me...

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Managed to get my wife one friday evening just before dark. It was a jake but it all happened so fast that we couldn't really identify him as that. Its a pretty good story if I get time I will type it up. Went back out saturday morning and had 10+ going but only 2 jakes would come in. Tried again Sun morning and same story everyone wants to gobble no one wants to come in. I have never dealt with this many birds in such a close area. I will be back out friday with some kind of game plan.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a lot of family issues come up this weekend so I only got to go out on friday morning. My brother was running late and decided to slam the gate to the lease while he was in such a hurry. I think that doomed us from the start. Hopefully we can get back out there this weekend or next.

bernardderek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well me and my two other buddies went up to Black Kettle Friday morning. We camped out there for the weekend and we ended up doing pretty well. We Killed our 6th bird Sunday afternoon. I ended up with the "trophy" of the weekend. 19lbs 11oz 10in beard and 1 1/2 & 1 5/8in spurs. We all had a blast.

i1184.photobucket.com_albums_z335_bernardderek_560428_378001959c3f4f6d374dfd1eb2d55ad9091d0b9d.jpg

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We me and my two other buddies went up to Black Kettle Friday morning. We camped out there for the weekend and we ended up doing pretty well. We Killed our 6th bird Sunday afternoon. I ended up with the "trophy" of the weekend. 19lbs 11oz 10in beard and 1 1/2 & 1 5/8in spurs. We all had a blast.

i1184.photobucket.com_albums_z335_bernardderek_560428_378001959c3f4f6d374dfd1eb2d55ad9091d0b9d.jpg

Very nice, sounds like you guys slayed them. Were there a lot of other hunters? (From looking at the back of your truck, you got a lot of shots at turkeys, ha ha!)

bernardderek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha Okie, those are shells from skeet shooting last weekend. There were a few other hunters out there, but with 50 something different units all around the county you can easily find a unit to have to yourself. There were a ton of birds. We saw an enormous amount of hens which will be awesome for next years hatch.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, me and EF went out on Saturday morning about 8:30 am. We were in Garfield county and the clouds were eerily cool looking when we went out. It was overcast for the entire hunt. We walked from the road to the four corners down into the creek bottom that is about 20-50 yards wide fully treed that runs the entire quarter section. The dew was so thick that our shoes and pant legs were already soaked. We called for a few minutes with no joy. We started walking the creek bottom while EF was more interested in the bugs that were out. After 15 more minutes I called again and had some gobbling to the West and East. EF decided that he was ready to go and since he is 4, I said ok let's go. We walked up the the side of the creek bed and the Toms were in full strut. EF and I hid up next to a cedar and I made sure he saw the gobblers. We called again but the Tom's did not turn. Then I saw the hens out front coming over a terrace. So EF stayed at the cedar while I belly crawled about 40 yards to the bottom of a terrace that was about 40 yards away from the Toms. I popped up shot and down he went. We were done by 9:30.

The best part was that EF kept telling me what a good time he had. I am pretty anal about getting photos with my kill, but this time, I forgot to get me in one, but this photo is better than all the rest.
i254.photobucket.com_albums_hh93_jmfothergill_4_9_12003.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom