Springfield XDs .45 acp and 9 mm Safety Recall

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I got my generic email finally:

"Thank you for your email. The XD-S upgrade process is currently estimated to take 30 days from the day we receive your pistol. They are being processed in the order they are received, please know that it is Springfield Armory’s highest priority to complete this process as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience and support!"

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
as of a few days ago, they (Springfield) didn't even know how they were going to address the issue. The issue is a moot point by every thing I have read. Basically, if you operate the gun like you are supposed to, you will be fine.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, don't look down the barrel and point it at others?

From XDtalk...

The technical cause for the xds to malfunction is dry firing the weapon and then somehow locking the slide back without engaging the grip safety. This will not allow the trigger to reset when the slide is released resulting in a free floating striker. With the striker free to move in the channel the inertia of the forward moving slide will send the striker forward and detonate the primer of the live round just chambered. This will also start a chain reaction if the mag is loaded until the grip safety is pressed.

Even guys that tried to reproduce it, couldn't get it to malfunction. I had over 1200 rounds through my XDs 45 before I sold it. I've got 400rs through my 9. No problems with either.

Here's a vid of some guy trying to make it happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, because Glocks never have had any recalls...... err......"upgrades."

I own neither pistols, but just out of curiousity I Googled "Glock Recalls."

As you posted, there are none, only "upgrades."

Another famous Austrian used the word "Final Solution" instead of "genocide." :)

The U.S. military had a safety recall or two on the M1 Garand. :)

Retops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sent my XDs out on 8/30 and have heard nothing from them.

I hope this is not going to end up something they can't fix to their lawyers satisfaction like the Caracal pistol.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I never held a Springfield Armory anything before today. I don't know anything about the XDs, nothing. But i shot an XDm today, and it was a good shooter. Can't find one thing bad to say about the XDm. I did have my doubts, but those have been expunged.

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks GM Thunder. That's kind of what I thought. I read the initial recall and recall that they said "there have been no reported instances...".

Mine has been completely reliable. When you chamber a round or fire, it should be pointed in the appropriate direction.