State-by-State Knife laws in one convenient place

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, you just can't carry any knife in Oklahoma uniess you're "participating in a sporting or reenactment event".

I can just see a judge randomly deciding a swissarmy knife is an "offensive weapon".

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That only applies to:

dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed

But your right, the culture is what defines pocket-knives for us here in OK as something other than an "offensive weapon". There is little else in the way of laws to do so.

Helpful site. I guess this is as good a place as any:

What about "assisted opening" knives, such as Kershaw's SpeedSafe knives?

Sorry, I missed this back when you first posted, but it has been discussed at length here (do a search on "assisted knives illegal" for more info). Essentially it's sloppy legislation that is vague with the words "Spring-type knife" in there that is left open to too much interpretation.

Good news, however - On November 1st, House Bill 2170 will remove "Spring-type knife" from that list to clarify, but essentially an assisted knife doesn't open via hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife as most still require you to use the flipper or thumb-stud (both are a part of the blade tang or spine and not the handle) so it will be a perfectly legal knife (even to the letter of the still-poorly-worded law).

wingman26.com_images_temp_notabutton.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom