Stevens Favorite 1915 Restoration (a Traxxis and Honeybee production)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hey, what would something like that cost a guy to get done? and what if the lever was loose and hung down, and the little extractor deal was about wore completely off? could you fix that as well?

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great work guys! That rifle is a thing of beauty. Just curious, at what point do you turn down a restoration? Since refinishing highly collectable firearms can significantly reduce the value.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's the value on a rifle like this before restoration? If they aren't exorbitantly expensive, I might try to pick one up sometime and do the same thing!

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The trick is finding an old Favorite, or one of the other of the type, that still has any rifling left. They tend to be shot out. Us kids of the day saved the world with them many times over. What do you think really happened to the dinosaurs?

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They will be part of my web site.

Great, just credit them for me if you would since I didn't include watermarks.

Looks great! Excellent work guys.

Thanks!

hey, what would something like that cost a guy to get done? and what if the lever was loose and hung down, and the little extractor deal was about wore completely off? could you fix that as well?

Oh, you know... bring it by and I'll see what I can do. :)

Great work guys! That rifle is a thing of beauty. Just curious, at what point do you turn down a restoration? Since refinishing highly collectable firearms can significantly reduce the value.

Well, my personal take on it is this... a family heirloom is treasured by me and I will never sell any of them, so its monetary value means absolutely nothing to me, and frankly, I would rather pass down a rifle that has been ACCURATELY refinished and looks new rather than pass down one that looks like it spent it's life sitting in a humid attic (I got three shotguns last Summer that were just like that). If it looks nice, I think it would be more apt to be well cared for and last another 100 years than if it was rusted up and just thrown around. Of course, I'm not saying that everybody would do that, I'm just speaking for myself.

As for turning a restoration down, I might encourage somebody to reconsider, but wouldn't ever really tell them "no" unless they just had a terrible idea (IE Durakote an original GI 1911 pink). And that is more because I don't want my name associated with it, rather than it just being a grievance. Some things you just have to think about the future and what other people would think... cause it could be the best Durakote job ever done but people wouldn't notice that, just that somebody defaced something nice, and it wouldn't be the owner who gets the slack for it, but the guy who did it.

In this case and many others, it won't hurt the value of the gun by refinishing it. There is a fine line, although very fine... that you walk when considering this as a gun that is a total rust pit very well may get a boost in value, sometimes a considerable boost in value by refinishing it.

I dunno... just my thoughts. :) They're worth what you pay for it.

What's the value on a rifle like this before restoration? If they aren't exorbitantly expensive, I might try to pick one up sometime and do the same thing!

You should. I don't actually know how much they run for, I can't imagine them being much in poor condition, but let me do a quick look for ya...

Prolly more than I would pay... $75

The trick is finding an old Favorite, or one of the other of the type, that still has any rifling left. They tend to be shot out. Us kids of the day saved the world with them many times over. What do you think really happened to the dinosaurs?

haha... this is very true.

Guns N' Cars

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just like to take a second to thank Traxxis on his amazing work on a piece of family history. He took a rusted non-functioning rifle with a busted stock and shattered internals, and returned a functioning piece of art. It may sound like lip service, but the pictures don't do it justice.

Not only did he have it ready in time for Christmas, he worked on it while he was under the weather. Don't know what he was fighting, but he didn't sound to good on the phone while assuring me it would be ready.

Where he went even over and above, was when he met me at the wood store to help me find an awesome piece of wood to construct a wall hanger. I had a shadow box that fell through at the last minute and he came up with a whole other idea that I like even better.

Thanks again my man!! Your very appreciated! Here's a pic of the wall hanger frame idea. Not sure if it's exactly what you had in mind, but I like it alot.

Looking forward to getting the picture installed tomorrow and presenting it. I'll
Let you know how it goes!
ai977.photobucket.com_albums_ae259_crashpro993_82c5f74e.jpg

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, man, that is beautiful! Congrats, and thanks to all three of you for restoring a piece of history! I know that will be appreciated and cherished.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

gearys 5600

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great job...I have a favorite .22 as well that was givin to me by an elderly relative in 1987. He passed away a few months later. I would love to do something like this with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom