stone breaking up what do I do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Attached are some pics. This was put up in 2018 / retaining wall and fireplace. Is there any one with experience on this on what I can do to stop this??
The rock just keeps flaking off on about 30% of all my rock. Obviously, the rock may have been subpar. Too late to fix that without replacing.
thanks.
IMG_1374.jpeg
IMG_1373.jpeg
IMG_1372.jpeg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a stone mason. My uneducated guess is that it could possibly be water intrusion. Perhaps some sort of seal coat may fix or slow the erosion?

Definitely get a secondary or tertiary opinion though.

Yep, looks like the stone is spalling due to water getting into the stone and then freezing, causing the outer layers of stone to break off. Same thing happens with unsealed concrete.

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No warranty I am aware. I called a few years ago, and got no where and didnt think it would continue. Ignorance perhaps on my part not researching more on how to prevent.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It may not be just freeze/thaw damage but sub-florescence where the stone salts break the stone down itself. If that's the case don't seal it. That may be the reason it wasn't sealed in the first place.

Latest posts

Top Bottom