Storage of beans and/or rice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used colostomy bags are really durable, and available for free at most nursing homes. They really make the food taste like crap if you don't get'em clean first, though.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
O2 absorbers in sealed mylar in sealed 5 gallon bucket works EXTREMELY well. We have opened buckets sealed in 1999 and the contents were sealed and useable.
Had buckets of dry milk, beef stroganoff and chicken chow mein. All were good after 14 yrs of storage.

We have seeds stored in envelopes in a coffee can with the lid sealed with duct tape. How redneck is that? My Uncle gave me such a can 3 years ago. The duct tape was labeled 1961. We have used the seeds for the last 3 years to plant the garden, all have sprouted and grown very well. We have since been buying seeds at the end of season when the stores clearance them out.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Again, when in OKC go to the LDS Mormon place, just south of the airport. They have mylar bags available dirt cheap. You can even borrow the sealer machine from them. And the mylar bags there are dirt cheap. They also have the oxygen absorbers for sale. I bought a pack of 100 oxygen sealers for, I think it was, something like $3.00.

TSgt Twitch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
beans/rice in zip locks with a 1/2 cup of salt or so and an o2 absorber per bag, couple bags of each per bucket, couple cups of salt into the bucket o2 absorbers then lid.

OR Soda bottle with salt and o2 absorber tight lid plus tape :) Salt works as a dessicant just in case, and you will be cooking the rice/beans with it anyway. Keep in mind once/if we get to the point your cooking dry beans etc. your sodium intake is gonna be way down as "processed foods" go away, so the extra salt will actually benefit you.

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do the mylar/oxygen absorber/vacume/iron seal thing. I leave a little room in my bucket for a bag of salt and pepper, and a couple of bottles of hot sauce for beans and soy sauce salt & papper for rice

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do the mylar/oxygen absorber/vacume/iron seal thing. I leave a little room in my bucket for a bag of salt and pepper, and a couple of bottles of hot sauce for beans and soy sauce salt & papper for rice

That's one of those brilliantly simple ideas. Thanks!

Another thing I do is print out simple recipes/preparation guides and put them in the bucket as well....so if I'm not around, someone else can follow the instructions (I have two full grown women in my house who can barely cook water, LOL).

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I separate into meals and vacuum seal put as many as I can in 5 gallon bucket and toss on a gamma lid, and as long as you don't cheap out on bags and pay attention to what you are doing vacuum sealing is great I have stuff mainly paper shell .410 ammo that has been vacuum sealed for 20 years and is still air tight. If anyone feels brave I have 6 chips ahoy cookies that have been vacuum sealed for 16 years they looked okay last time I checked if anyone wants to give them a taste, my cousin and I have a bet on who will eat them after 25 years.

rebel-son

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
if you use those mylar bags i had heard about putting oxygen obsorbers in there. Anyone do that?

Got me thinking of putting rice and some beans in the same bag with some seasonings and viola. SHTF MRE

Latest posts

Top Bottom