Storm shelter recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
STORM SHELTER 1.jpgSTORM SHELTER 1BA.jpgSTORM SHELTER 2A.jpgI had this put in last summer and as you can see I modified it just a tad. I have probably invalidated any warranty, but I can live with it. I rode out the May 3rd 1999 tornado out in a closet, this is a palace compared to that.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 27223View attachment 27222View attachment 27224I had this put in last summer and as you can see I modified it just a tad. I have probably invalidated any warranty, but I can live with it. I rode out the May 3rd 1999 tornado out in a closet, this is a palace compared to that.

That's a fantastic setup. I'd like to do something like that for my garage in the future.

Mind me asking who you bought that from, and ballpark what that cost for purchase / delivery, etc.

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

If you are seriously going to look at this style of unit, I have suggestions. Get several 2x4s and knock together a frame of the size of the shelter you are contemplating. Three boards screwed together will be enough, two on the floor for width and length and a vertical for height, making sure a corner of the vertical 2x4 is located exactly where the corner of the shelter would hit. Then move it around your garage checking the ceiling area clearance. When I used this framework, I found that my attic ladder would clear the structure by 2 inches if I put the shelter hard against my East wall and I would have 12 inches of space to get between my car and the shelter when I was properly parked. I also found that I did not have room for the 8 ft model like my brother-in-law had installed, it did not leave me enough room to park my car in the garage. Make note of any vents that might have to be moved, electrical fuse boxes, electrical plugs you will lose the use of if you block them off and other assorted problems you haven't yet thought of.
To paraphrase an old saying MEASURE 6 TIMES AND INSTALL ONCE.
This a Ground Zero unit and I believe we paid $3000 tax and installation included. Installation was quick,smooth and they used a vacuum to keep things clean as they went.
The charger is a Schumacher model XM1-5 available most anywhere chargers are sold. I would call around before I drove to several suppliers. This is a small 1.5 amp "smart" charger that switches to a floating charge The batteries are the Gel-Cell type available at most any well stocked battery supplier. I read a report recently that the Gel-Cell type battery last longer if it is laid on its side.
(DO NOT GET THE STANDARD TRACTOR ACID BATTERY) acid type batteries when I tried them, the battery overflowed and made a mess.
The LEDs were bought through E-Bay (make sure you are bidding on or buying a SHIPPING INCLUDED item). Price range is $24 to $12 dollars. This is the item you want. White 5M 3528 SMD 600LED Flexible Light Strip Lamp 120LED/M 12V Motor Car Auto This uses the 3528SMD LED with 120 per meter for a total of 600 LEDs. You also want to see if it is already wired with a connector, which means you just connect to your fused 12 volt source and you have light. You want the hard white light, not the yellowish white LED. The back of the strip is sticky, just pull off the protective strip and stick where you want it. Make sure you have an extra set of hands, once it is stuck on you may not get it loose without damaging the circuity on the strip. Use a thick sponge and go over every inch of the strip to make sure it is stuck properly after you have it in place.
The box is from Radio Shack with some lighted automobile style switches and holds the necessary fuses for the batteries' and chargers' protection.
The shelf I made and mounted with 10/32 screws. the 5 silver colored trays were $100 and are installed with 10/32 screws.

On the LEDs if you have an in-the-floor unit you could buy and install the waterproof version of these strips and not worry about them going bad if they get wet. A Radio Shack battery pack that holds 8 "D' cell batteries to make a 12 volt power pack would light up your shelter for hours and maybe even for a day or two. Connect everything up test it and then store the batteries in a separate plastic box and the batteries should be good for years.
I hope this information is of help to someone. Here are several more photos.STORM SHELTER 3.jpgSTORM SHELTER 5.jpg

Last edited:

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that you do not want to use standard lead/acid batteries. They will produce hydrogen gas when charging which is very bad in an enclosed space. The only way to safely use them is to build a separate vented compartment. That is the reason that I used AGM batteries for my solar system.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good friend of mine owns Iron Tight. They build racks to convert them into a walk in safe. I know there is some kind of tax incentive too if own a farm/ranch or business but you will have to talk to them about it. They just put together a new room they call the Patriot with CCTV and diamond plate. Their site is irontightsaferooms.com. They have passed all their required testing and FEMA stuff. Oh, and he definitely is pro 2A!

Like I said, he is a friend of mine, so I might be biased, but I have also seen the results, helped put a few in and would have zero problem putting one in my place. Before posting, I talked to him and verified that he will also give a discount to pro 2A folks if they go through him. He can be reached via [email protected]. Just mentioned that you learned about them via OSA.

Either way, I'd add them on a list for consideration. I'm a big fan --- I'm just trying to figure out if I am going to keep my house or sell it for a place further out of town before installing. Then I need to get one and many more 2A toys to put inside it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom