Stuck shell I think it may be ammo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went shooting today and it was the first time shooting the 870. Well I had bright a box of winchester super target and super x. The super x cycled flawlessly the super target kept hanging up. It happened about 4 times in the 15-20 rounds I shot, The first couple times if I would push forward and the jerk back it would eject. What I called my last round of the day the shell if fired and stuck in the barrel. I think I'm gonna need to run a dowel down and pop it out. On the plus side the range was cool with me taking it all apart so I didn't have live shells in the tube.

I'm leaning towards super target being junk any thoughts?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with two 870's I took to the range yesterday, an Express that's about ten years old, and a Police Magnum from the 1980s. I was using two different flavors of 2 3/4" Winchester 7 1/2 shot shells, one a high velocity and the other a heavy load. On the first shot of the high velocity load, the spent shell got stuck in the chamber of BOTH shotguns. After taking apart both shotguns to remove the rest of the shells, I was able to bang the butt of the Police Magnum on the ground while holding onto the foregrip and extract the spent shell. In the Express, however, I could not get the shell to budge, so I had to remove the barrel to gain access to the side of the stuck shell. I used a narrow screwdriver punched through the side of the shell, just ahead of the metal base, and a small hammer to tap on the shaft of the screwdriver. That got the shell out, and I put aside the rest of that box to concentrate on the heavy load shells. No problems at all with this latter ammo, though I did discover that the new-to-me Police Magnum really needs to be racked with authority to prevent short-stroking.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just hit the bore with the steel wool and I think I got it fixed up. The round that originally got stuck it now ejects freely. Only time it hung up is where the rim is damaged from the ejector grabbed it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom