Stuck shell I think it may be ammo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do you wish you saw it, are you regreting your buy? It's ideally not the best situation but It took little time to resolve and cost me $1 for a new brush. I think I'm out if the woods but I need to go shoot it to see. I will say the steel rimmed shells acted up not the brass.

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do you wish you saw it, are you regreting your buy? It's ideally not the best situation but It took little time to resolve and cost me $1 for a new brush. I think I'm out if the woods but I need to go shoot it to see. I will say the steel rimmed shells acted up not the brass.
A gunsmith told me that the silver head shells are aluminum and swell up when shot?

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think your smith is wrong. A magnet will quickly settle the question. Have never seen aluminum "brass," but have seen and shot a lot of steel that was white or brass color. Aluminum would be a pricy way to go, and the alloys you would need to make it hard enough would run the cost even higher.

The first chamber polishing recommendation is exactly on target. Quality control is not what it used to be. My old 870 Trap "B" has never failed to cycle anything I have given it.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok I took her out last night with about an 85% success rate I'm gonna hit it again with the steel wool and then just try to put more rounds in it.

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think your smith is wrong. A magnet will quickly settle the question. Have never seen aluminum "brass," but have seen and shot a lot of steel that was white or brass color. Aluminum would be a pricy way to go, and the alloys you would need to make it hard enough would run the cost even higher.

The first chamber polishing recommendation is exactly on target. Quality control is not what it used to be. My old 870 Trap "B" has never failed to cycle anything I have given it.
Thats what they told me at sports world, i have a 20 year old 870 express 20 ga that will shoot any shells. So i bought the 12 ga turkey express a couple of years ago, biggest Pos, the smith claimed to clean up the chamber, thanks for the heads up on the tip. Going to give it a try!

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you search the web, you'll find this is a common problem with the newer 870s. the solution is to take your barrel off and look for burrs around the chamber and see if the chamber has "ribs" running around it's circumference. A little polishing may be in order. You can take an old shotgun chamber brush and wrap it with 0000 steel wool. Insert a short cleaning rod into a drill, put a little oil on the steel wool and run her in there. Use a back and forth motion while polishing it out with a medium speed on your drill. My 870 Super Mag took a few minutes to clean out, but it functions flawlessly with every manufacturers shells now.
Thanks for the info!

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update: I just hit it for about 30 seconds with the steel wool and I hit it with polishing compound on a cleaning mop, I'll see if that fixes it. If this did not fix it I will be searching for a way to hone the barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom