Subaru guys school me on the WRX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always wanted a full blown STI but will probably never spring for one. I am wanting to get a vehicle that gets decent mileage for day to day to go along with my truck, How dependable are used WRX's? Any tips or tricks I need to know? Would you buy a wrx with 100K miles on it?

P.S. Yes I plan on driving the SNOT out of it as well.

FenixTxM3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A buddy of mine had an 2004 WRX back in 06 or 07. All I can remember is that car was constantly in the shop. He just used it for a daily driver, didn't really drive it too hard..

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
100k miles??? That ain't nothing on an STI... Never had a non-STI WRX, but the boxer motor swap is really easy. Subi's are also a lot smaller inside than we're used to in obese America, but they do a good job with driver/passenger legroom. Manual transmissions are the only acceptable trannys

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The regular WRX is A. All that. and B. A Bag of chips.

Mine was an 03' with 89K on it when I sold and it was EXTREMELY reliable (and still rock solid). Documented service history and in particular, oil changes are very important. The turbo motor does optimally need regular oil changes at 3K or so. At 100K, I'd want evidence that the struts have been replaced. It's a 1 day DIY change if not, but service shops want $1200-1600 to do it. The struts alone are about 500-600 for all four. Also at 100K, check front end components because that's where the most weight is carried and our terrible Oklahoma roads do take their toll.

I think the regular WRX is probably a better all around Oklahoma car due to the rough road surfaces. The suspension is more compliant and has longer travel, so fewer stresses are applied to the frame/body.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually almost pm'd JB when he was selling his. My wife talked me into buying a 2012 WRX Limited off the showroom floor. I liked the way it handled almost as much as my 370z. The only thing I didn't care for was it lacked some low end guts. I chipped it which helped smooth out the powerband but not enough. If your not looking for v8 get up and go, want great handling and high end speed then the WRX fits the bill. The only reason I didn't go with an STI was because I heard the ride was rougher
Also just bought my 18yr old a 2013 Legacy because the AWD Boxer combo is very nice.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife absolutely hates the way they look, But after our little ski vaca in her jetta she was starting to see the beauty in them as they zipped all over the snowy roads in NM. I just want whatever I get to be dependable. I remember a little crappy civic I had when I was younger, I beat on that thing hard and it never did go bang or let me down.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would opt for the Forester xt. It is basically the same engine as an sti with a smaller turbo. It has a better gear ratio, lower insurance premiums, and it is sporty. 100,000 is not bad, just make sure the timing belt has been replaced.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will say that the powerband is more restricted on the 02' and 03' 2.0L engines, unless you replace the downpipe with an "off-road" pipe that deletes the cat and reprogram the ECU. Better yet if you add a cat-back exhaust.

The 04' and up 2.5L cars have better low end grunt with the turbo spooling up 500RPM or so sooner. They also have slightly larger front brakes. I think my favorite are the 06’ and 07’ WRX with the “aviator” grille.

I almost forgot about the timing belt change. Make sure that is done too!

Latest posts

Top Bottom