Subaru guys school me on the WRX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Baby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 2011 WRX, but not for the gas mileage :pms2:
Mine is Stage 2 with a Torqued Performance map. I haven't dyno'd it yet but it should be around 290 at the wheels. My computer says average is 23.1 mpg. I press the gas pedal a lot or it would be better :burnout:

Dry and wet traction is awesome and I keep a set of outback wheels with all seasons in case we get snow.

Mine has been rock solid, 0 issues. I'm at 29,000 miles and its been modified most all of them. This is my 2nd Subaru and I will likely buy another.

roachjuice

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Parents own a 09 sti. At 22,000 miles the motor popped. Cracked ringlands on 1 and 4 cylinder. Warranty voided. They said the motor had been to 8000 rpm once. I don't know if that's true or not. It now has a fully built 2.5 in it with a stock turbo. It's "OK" but it's not what I consider fast. Gets 20mpg average. My glhs Omni is faster. But my glhs Omni isn't stock either. I've beat the piss out of older wrx's before. With mods they barely trap 101mph in the 1/4.
The older wrx's have **** transmissions. They suck real bad. Pretty much glass. The sti 6 speed is stronger. If you can find one a 05-07 sti would be a better choice IMO. You gotta think too, people buy those cars to beat the piss out of them. They launch them all the time. That's HELL on a drive line.
Oh and ps. If you're looking at that black one on tulsa Craigslist, it smokes. Turbo is about to pop. I saw it the other day at qt on 11th street in tulsa.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The trannies are a weak point. These cars are not "fast." That is not their intended purpose. They are meant to be quick, and supply quick bursts of acceleration from 40-90 mph. They also are designed to provide gobs of grip on questionable roads. They really are rally cars. If you are looking for a drag car, don't buy it. If you want street-able power that is fun to drive daily, and a car that is capable of handling varied surfaces, and some off-road, the WRX or Forester MAY be for you.

More things to know: They rattle. The cabins rattle, there is no way around it, there is a long thread on nasioc about fixing said rattles. I am about to start chasing down some my self in my bugeye WRX as I just can't take it anymore.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, if you are looking at I believe an 07, and on model WRX. Be sure it was tuned with a stage 0/1 tune straight from the factory. The stock tuning is too lean, and causes ringland issues.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put 63000+ miles on my 04 STI in two years. Great car, a blast to drive! The only problem I had was a rear strut issue that was repaired under a service bulletin.
Brakes were expensive! so make sure you're not trying to throw your passengers through the window to often :-)

I HATE rattles, I would be bad mouthing the car like crazy if I had any problem, but my car was tight.

The only reason I got rid of it was because I needed a truck... I now have a paid for truck and am looking for another subaru as a daily driver.

roachjuice

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the 2005? How can you be sure it was the same one? lol

It's the same one Trust me. Go see for yourself. When you get in it and before you take off, roll the window down and look behind you. Rev it up. Its Smoking. It's been beat to shyt. A Mexican guy was test driving it. I saw it take off.

No. They AREN'T rally cars. They are rally INSPIRED. Good luck off road and jumping it.

93turbohatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of you Subaru guys out there I will be putting my Mint Condition 2002 Wrx up for sale as soon as My title 42 paper work comes back on my 2000 civic I bought on here. Anyone interested pm me.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More things to know: They rattle. The cabins rattle, there is no way around it, there is a long thread on nasioc about fixing said rattles. I am about to start chasing down some my self in my bugeye WRX as I just can't take it anymore.

Really? With 89k, mine was as solid and rattle free as the day I bought it! It did have some rattle when the worn out struts were still on it. New struts and that "new car" feeling was restored.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah, I have the notorious vin plate rattle, which comes from the beauty trim on the dash. A clip in there is not real tight from factory. The fix is to remove and dob on some RTV to the clip. It goes away in warm weather it seems. Go figure. I also have a lift and General Grabber AT2's. I am sure they cause more vibration and rattles. This rattle was apparent before the lift and tire change.

Latest posts

Top Bottom