Suggestions for .12 gauge load best for Black Vulture control?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really lucky it hit the grill guard. Saw a guy take one to the windshield once and there wasn't much left of either!
My aunt said the only thing worse than how they smell when they’re alive is how they smell when they’re dead, and you can never get that smell out of the interior of a car. I don’t recall if she hit one or she just knew someone who hit one, but it was apparently a memorable experience.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a guy that works in the chicken business for Pilgrims, and he had a buzzard come through his windshield in a company truck. He was about 60 miles from the office and drove back with his head hanging out the window due to the stench. I would’ve had the truck shop come get me with a wrecker.🤮

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Federally protected, keep that in mind. As far as the loads, #4 and #6 in either 2 3/4 or 3" should do. The long barrel length increasing range and pattern was disproven years ago.
Saw a lot of those "goose guns" over in the Grainola area when Prairie Chicken hunting was big.
People toting those things thought they could shoot the chickens out of the sky at 80 yards.
My 24" Browning probably produces more FPS than those old goose guns.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy in HS, hit a buzzard feeding on road kill. Buzzard hit the windshield, came through, went between bucket seats and slammed into back seat. Commenced to puke all over seat and then died. Meat wagon full of maggots was a rose garden in comparison. His Dad wasn't happy about the car.

The dove season before, we were dove hunting. After several shots, a few buzzards circled. He got up and staggered towards the water hole we were set up on.
He stumbles, falls, lays still and watches. A buzzard circles and drops down. He raises up and let's both barrels fly. Buzzard pukes and hits him square in the chest.
He rode home shirtless.
Nobody ever accused him of being overly bright.

Latest posts

Top Bottom