T/C pistol (please help)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a 200 yard deer pistol, but I've never shot one. I would like to see if I can handle rifle cartridge recoil in a hand gun.

I'd like to try one at the range - something in 7mm waters and up.

If someone in OKC visits H&H and doesn't mind let me try one out - I would appreciate it a whole bunch. Of course I'll pay/provide the ammo and compensate for the trouble (dinner maybe?). I'm a member at H&H and can be there any day after 6pm.

Please, PM me.

Thanks.

P.S. Has anyone shot 7TCU out to 200 yards on a deer?

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to have an Encore in 7mm-08. Topped it with a 2-7 power scope. Used to shoot a 10 inch I-beam at 225 yard. Child's play. You could pick what corner you wanted to hit. Not a direct comparison to what you're asking but close. It was no problem at all in the recoil department. I've shot a contender in 45-70 and it was brutal. I've found recoil is more a metter of bullet weight than velocity. Compare a riffle in .22-250 and one in .45-70.

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can let you shoot my T/C in 7TCU, but it can't be until March. If you want to see what pistol cartridges can do at longer ranges try shooting an IHMSA match. The Remington XPs in the TCU or BR chamberings are even better shooters than the T/C. My XP in 7BR practically shoots itself. Try the center grip and rear grip models to see the difference. Mine is a center grip. Jim Fields at OKCGC runs the IHMSA matches and is a great guy.

rw1341

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a TC Encore pistol in 7mm-08. It is very capable of being a 200+ yard gun. I bought the used barrel off a forum and it came out of NY. The barrel had a JP Howitzer/Sherman Tank Muzzle Brake already installed on it. The brake works great! Very little "kick" or muzzle climb. When shooting off a rest bag it just lays there. It has a 2X scope on it now but I'll be changing it out to a 2X6 or 2X7 this spring. I took an 8 point whitetail at 80 yards this fall (first handgun harvest). That's why the scope change. I realized just how far/accurate the rig is! Side note, it will be louder than you are used to(with a brake), but we are shooting a gun after all !!! Hope this helps!

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been shooting deer with a contender for many years. Try a handloaded 30-30 round. You'd be supprised at how accurate it is with a 135gr single shot pistol bullet

Frank aka willystruck

Latest posts

Top Bottom